• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

El cheapo flare extensions

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
In my state they are very strict on the amount of tyre showing past the guards. I have been pulled before with my 32" tyres but didn't want to add Bushwhackers which would be way too big and make my tyres look tiny. I also like to have the tyres still slightly sticking out enough to protect the flares as well. So after a long time of searching I had just about given up finding something around the 1" width range. Then open my security door I noticed the weather strip at the bottom. Turned out to be just what I was after so have fitted that. The inner is a stiff plastic but the outer is a flexable rubber like material.
FlareStrip1.jpg

FlareStrip3.jpg

FlareStrip5.jpg

More photos and details on my site under bar and body modifications.

nice resourcefullness...

Great Site!!!

Thanks, and no sagging either ( looks like it a bit in the last shot at the front but is the light only ) and very flexible so will keep the cops happy for pedestrian friendliness. ;)

i found some great flare matrail.. gonna buy some when i come back from trade school.. it made of 100% rubber you can buy it by the foot a most places and it will allach to the verticle side of your fender and is 4.5" wide.. found it at a local kenworth truck dealer.. it looks very simular to what the new ford dump trucks have.. they said the stuff was $9.50 a foot...

Just an update, I have also added some of the strip to the rear after cutting it narrower.
FlareStrip6.jpg

Now my rear tyres are legal and ties in nicely with the front.
FlareStrip7.jpg

I also added some moulded mud flaps as I have been booked twice already for not having them. I used Powerflow Model 6 Pro-Fit Splash Guards #6416. The moulded lip against the flare was trimmed back until it followed the edge of the flare. The supplied self tappers were screwed into the inside lip of the flare with a one piece strip of steel covering the back of it to give strength. I also added a separate piece of rubber to run from the bottom of the wheel well to the mud flap so it would stop any mud draining down the outside of the mud flap. These cover my 32's with 8" wide rims with 4.75" of BS perfectly. Can still be moved either way to centre it if necessary.

well i wouldn't say that but yes i am a newb bought a 95 xj in dec. and a 91 2wd LB mj 3 weeks ago I'm hooked. thanks for the help

Back