• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You don't need to burp a 98 XJ right?

glennv

NAXJA Forum User
Been searching and it seems that you just need to fill the radiator and be sure the overflow is at the full mark. Correct? I plan to flush the heater core tomorrow and want to be sure there is no air in the system.

It too needs to be burped, not quite so hard as the older ones with the sender in the back of the head. Once you drain it and get ready to fill it backup with your 50/50 mix pour in a full gallon of pure antifreeze as there is about 2 quarts of water in there already counting the heatercore, block and lower hose.
Dump half of another full gallon of antifreeze into the now empty antifreeze container and top both off with 2 quarts of DISTILLED water, you now have 2 gallons of 50/50 to do the top off. Remove and clean the overflow bottle too. I found a sock on a stick works and does not get the wife pissed like if you use the bottle brush out of the utensil drawer :D
Then I fill the overflow up to between the cold and hot mark. Then I start the engine, pour in the 50/50 mix till it comes level with the dogleg filler and let the engine warm up, once the tstat cycles it will pull it back down. I top it back off to the filler again and keep it there, watching the coolant till it does not look like fizzy green soda anymore. Blip the throttle and a quick top off and an even quicker pressure cap back on. Over the next few cycles it will bleed out any extra air and equalize the coolant.

I need to do my oil but have about 35 systems that I need to do the Daylight savings time fix on this weekend.

Back