• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column switch swap 98->96

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a 97-98 XJ steering column switch and putting it into my 96 XJ. Is it possible, or does it require swapping of the whole steering column ?

Thank you,
Andrey

langer1 said:
And why may I ask?
Hate to have everything on one switch, turn signals, windshield wipers, water pump. I ALWAYS turn on high beams when pumping water on the windshield, one day somebody will kill me for that.

I believe 98 has 2 separate switches, but I am not sure. This is why I am also calling for somebody to show me his 97-98 in SF South Bay.

Thank you,
Andrey

langer1 said:
None of that is part of the ignition switch.

It's called the Multi-function switch, and you would need to change the column.

I never called it 'ignition switch'. Thank you for the proper name.

Why does it require changing the column, is it an integral part, different mounting, is there any way to avoid the column swap ?

Thank you,
Andrey

It's just a totally redesigned steering column.

You can disconnect the washer and add a switch for that.

The actual switches are under the dash and cable operated from the lever.

Last edited:
langer1 said:
It's just a totally redesigned steering column.

Please tolerate my curiosity for a bit more.

Can I separate the switch and the rest of the column ?

Thank you,
Andrey

langer1 said:
The actual switches are under the dash and cable operated from the lever or levers in the case of 97 up.

I guess it means nearly impossible to mount.
I would've never guessed it, thank you.

Ok, are there any cars which have a 2 lever multi-function switch, which could be mounted (with acceptable level of headacke) into 96 XJ ?

Thank you,
Andrey

Back