• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Add to RE 4.5 leaf pack

mmmkay325

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running 38's on a full width 60 in the rear and need to clear more. Currently i've got re's 4.5 leaf pack w/ a the "dreaded 2" blocks" in the rear to make it sit level. I'm running 3.5yj leafs up front. Trying to get more height in the rear just in leafs so I can pull the blocks out. Anyone have ideas of what I should add to RE's pack to get more height? Or should I just go out and get some Alcans 6.5 or 8??? Don't really want/need to lower the front, just looking at a cheap way to get the rear back up with just leafs. Thanks guys

I'm currently running the shackle that came w/ RE's 5.5 kit for the xj's, I believe it gives something like 1.5" of lift. What longer shackles work well with this setup. Would an add-a-leaf do anything for me?

Last edited:
Just add a couple of used leaves, could be out of anything.......no big deal. Do your best to add a leaf the splits the difference in length between the two you put it between, which helps to keep the progressive rate of the sprrings. You could add stock XJ leaves, or any 2.5" wide leaf, mine are from a 1/2 ton Chevy. It's best to find one that is the length you want, rather than cutting one down, since the leaf will have the plastic pads on the end that you want to keep. Keeping the friction down between the leaves helps the ride even with a much stiffer spring pack. I've always run home made leaf packs, mixing and matching until I got what I wanted.

mmmkay325 said:
I'm currently running the shackle that came w/ RE's 5.5 kit for the xj's, I believe it gives something like 1.5" of lift. What longer shackles work well with this setup. Would an add-a-leaf do anything for me?

I myself would do anything I could to keep the spring rate down and run a 1.5" tapered lift block then make up a traction.torgue arm to control spring wrap.

I believe Goatman, me and others runs lift blocks in their rigs

I'll toss this out because it amazed me. I knew a guy who took apart his old flat fender Jeep leaf springs and hammered 3" of lift into the springs. He just hammered more arch into each leaf. Since you may have yours apart to add some leafs maybe you could hammer some shape into the old ones. I have heard that spring shops do this somtimes also ??

Stumpalump said:
I'll toss this out because it amazed me. I knew a guy who took apart his old flat fender Jeep leaf springs and hammered 3" of lift into the springs. He just hammered more arch into each leaf. Since you may have yours apart to add some leafs maybe you could hammer some shape into the old ones. I have heard that spring shops do this somtimes also ??

It's called re-arching springs, and it works well.........for a short time. They tend to collapse back down quickly because of the way we use springs, flexing them out regularly.

Yes, I like using lift blocks because it allows for a flatter spring, but you HAVE to also use a traction bar or the leverage of the block will allow more spring wrap and fatigue the springs faster. I currently have 2.25" of block. I also use a 9 leaf junkyard spring pack with anti-friction material between each leaf. It's the best of both worlds, will carry a load when full of camping gear without any squatting, flexes very well, and rides as good as coils.

ok....i'm liking the idea of just adding to my pack. Say I start looking around the junkyards for leaf packs. How do I know the lengths to get. Do i just measure from eye to eye while it's on the truck and make sure it matches mine? Too keep me from having to cut down the leafs. And are there certain leafs in the pack to use to make more arch or is it just trial and error? Keep the ideas coming. I've got a smaller 1.25 blocks that are tappered that came a with an RE bb I had early on. Would like to switch those in and get rid of homemade 2" i've got now. The rides much rougher to me. So from you guys a combination of blocks and leafs are sounding good. Does anyone know a good year truck to start looking for the leafs out of or just literally....whatever. Thanks guys!!

I've been told that any spring under pack would be a good choice, more arch and longer length. The most important part is to find one that are the same width. Chevy S-10's and MJ's are the same width. I am also looking to add some length and better height to the saging springs. This Jeep is also running a 3/4" tappered block.

Back