• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

does it really need all that stuff under the hood.

MountainRhino

NAXJA Forum User
I live in a state where there are no emission requirements(if they do they dont enforce) i was wondering if things like the charcoal canister and some of those pesky vacum lines are neccesary. how much crap can i take out and still have the motor run correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes while installing my motor mounts i knocked off a vaccum line and right after i cranked her i got a lot of whistling and a red hot banks header from running too lean... all vac lines are needed and technically you dont need your ac, winsdshield washer stuff etc i dont know how far you want to go

I know what you mean about it being awfully busy under the hood, but everything there has a purpose. I tend to look at vehicles equipped with emissions gear as "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I sure like the look of the near naked V8 under the hood of my CJ, though.

Words of wisdom from the resident old fart.....many years ago companies built engines, then hung "stuff" on them to sort out emissions.....have you ever driven a carburated late 70's/80's vehicle??? On those, if you ripped a bunch of the crap off and installed a good carb, and tuned it properly you could get huge gains in power and driveability...

Fast forward to more modern EFI systems....not the same animal...leave it alone, keep it in good shape....you can easily kill a good motor fooling around with it...Like Aparke4's experience....it's lucky he caught it before it smoked the exhaust valves....it was for damn sure headed that way.

We removed all the smog stuff from my friends MJ when we did the 4.0 AW4 and 4wd swap on it. It looks very clean under the hood, and it runs perfect. However If not doing a big swap like there where its gravy to remove all that stuff its not worth it IMO. But you can do it and not mess anything up if your careful. However you can't leave the map sensor unhooked like I did when we put the thing together LOL. I was looking at alllll kinds of shit trying to figure out why it does run good, hooking the map up fixed it :D.

I'm actually curious as to what it will be possible to "forget to reinstall" We are swaping a 4.6 Golen motor into a '90 xj and I would dearly love to simplify as much as possible.

MudDawg said:
Words of wisdom from the resident old fart.....many years ago companies built engines, then hung "stuff" on them to sort out emissions.....have you ever driven a carburated late 70's/80's vehicle??? On those, if you ripped a bunch of the crap off and installed a good carb, and tuned it properly you could get huge gains in power and driveability...

Fast forward to more modern EFI systems....not the same animal...leave it alone, keep it in good shape....you can easily kill a good motor fooling around with it...Like Aparke4's experience....it's lucky he caught it before it smoked the exhaust valves....it was for damn sure headed that way.

um yeah i was scared! luckily i had it running for about 25-30 seconds trying to figure out what the heck was whistling and then saw my header scorching red hot... scary just be careful even motor mounts can be dangerous:anon:

MudDawg said:
Words of wisdom from the resident old fart.....

Hey, I thought I was the resident old fart.

I swapped a Renix 4.0 into a 1994 chassis (bare chassis) that is a trail only rig. I removed many of the vaccum lines, the charcoal canister, and the egr. It *could* potentially raise EGTS (Exhaust Gas Temps) from what I have read and understand. However I have not had any problems thus far in the few wheeling trips I have been on with the rig.

It runs fine, I would say if its a street driven rig or a DD just leave it alone. If not just tear it out.
-Tim

well this is my daily driver and yes i would like to simplify the engine bay as much as possible. more stuff just means more to go wrong. but i really dont want to create more probs. and ac is a creature comfort that is nice on a dialydriver. i dont use it but the girl and her kids do so i will leave it.

your looking to cause more trouble then its worth. Alot of those components work together and are monitored by the PCM. I don't know how the jeep setups are, but most modern vehicles are like this.

....perfect example - forget to tighten the gas cap on a newer vehicle.

Can most of the e-vap stuff be removed/bypassed? Most likely. I just wouldn't recommend it unless you know what your doing.

Last edited:
in response to the higher e.g.t.'s,the reason the header was red hot was because of the vacuum leak itself,causing the lean condition. i'm not an "emissions expert",but i think as long as your oxygen sensor is functioning,you should be o.k.

theres very little under the hood that you need. you need the motor, computer wiring and most of the sensors. a matter in fact the only vac line you need is the one running to the map sensor, unless its a 96, then its built on to the throttle body. the brake booster vac line is needed for power brakes.

before:

DSC00381.JPG

DSC00377.JPG

cleaned up some:

DSC00460.JPG

after: (with my custom harness not taped up)

Image%28124%29.jpg

Back