• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans fault code help???

Scrappy Doo

NAXJA Forum User
G'day everyone, I am new to the forum and look forward to being an active member. Never the less I have a problem. My 97 Cherokee Sport 4.0 auto has a strange problem. The check engine light came on the other day and then went off, and now it is back on and will not go out. I pulled codes and got p0743 and a generic trans fault code. I read them with my Mac Tools Perceptor diagnostic tool. It shows that code as a TCC Solenoid fault. I checked all the tranny wiring and connectors. I removed and cleand and tested the gear selector indictor switch. Everything appears to be in order. When I refrenced the shop manual it states that the 4.0l does not use a TCC solenoid, so what gives with the code? I am wondering if it is the TCM? Any help would be appreciated.

Hello just curious if you resolved this issue ? I have a 98 XJ and about a week ago I notice the CEL coming on and pulled the codes, one of the codes was P0743. The Jeep seems to run fine and also notice the CEL will stay on for a few trips and then eventually go out.

Just curious if you resolved it and also was it a major repair ? Did it cost a lot of $$$$ ?

My Jeep has 118K miles and this maybe the deciding factor if I get rid of it. I love my Jeep but don't want to keep pouring $$$ into it.

Thanks Keith

Did you check the resistance for the 3 solenoids manually? I'm having some tranny issues right now, though mine is a 95 (different TCM).

On my TCM, the three solenoids are C14, C15, C16 on the TCM connector.

Back