• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seperate shackle from leaf

ASJackman

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of installing the RE 6200 5.5" kit and I can't seperate the shackle from the leaf. Does anyone know of a method to accomplish this? I searched, all I could find was PB Blaster, which was already done.

jdurbach said:
Uh just keep unscrewing the bolt. The threads will bite into the rubber bushing allowing you to unscrew the bolt out.

When installing my kit, one of the shackles was seized onto the leaf. Nut was off the bolt, but that didn't matter because the bolt wouldn't come out no matter how much you turned it. Good thing I had new drop shackles in my kit.

If you are not going to re-use the leaf pack then use a right angle grinder to cut the spring eye being carefull not to damage the shackle. You may have to use a chisle to finish it off. Then after the spring is free from the shackle just cut the bolt out with a hack saw.

ASJackman said:
I am in the process of installing the RE 6200 5.5" kit and I can't seperate the shackle from the leaf. Does anyone know of a method to accomplish this? I searched, all I could find was PB Blaster, which was already done.

I JUST put my new rear leafs on from my RE4.5 kit.. (8hours install time is INSTALL time only.. not including removal of old stuff.. dammit..)
anyway.. all bolts on the leaf spring were pratically frozen to the bushings.. I broke 3 ratchets getting out 6 bolts.. what I had to do was use breaker bars on every bolt, including the shackle/leaf nut and bolt. This was done after a good soaking with PB blaster. Just keep working it and if you can get one, try a hammer slide with one of the flange ends cut open to yoke the bolt out if it gets stuck in the bushing.. good luck.

Back