• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 capacity

oldjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know off hand what the fluid capacity is of a completely empty AW4? (New TC, and no fluid at all left in the case)

Thanks

my haynes manual says "4qts (when dropping the transmission pan)". that means it would hold more if u flushed it.

Has to be a lot more than 4 quarts with an empty convertor. That's the problem I'm having is that all the documents only cover what you have to replace if you drop the pan.

FYI, dropping the pan does not drain all the fluid. If you pull the valve body you will fine out in a hurry.

Last tranny swap, I filled my TC prior to assembly, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, it then took about 6 quarts.

To confirm, the '99 FSM indicates that the approximate refill capacity for the AW-4 is 8.0 liters (16.9 pints), i.e. 8.5 quarts.

- I thought it was about 12 quarts when, recently, I ran 18 quarts through
during a flush/displace(via disconnected cooling-line... A search will yield
more info. re the flush. Works fine, simple enough.) At least I did get an
apparently-complete fluid replacement..:) Definintely worth the $$ for a
few extra quarts, to be certain...

XpedientJ said:
To confirm, the '99 FSM indicates that the approximate refill capacity for the AW-4 is 8.0 liters (16.9 pints), i.e. 8.5 quarts.

- I thought it was about 12 quarts when, recently, I ran 18 quarts through
during a flush/displace(via disconnected cooling-line... A search will yield
more info. re the flush. Works fine, simple enough.) At least I did get an
apparently-complete fluid replacement..:) Definintely worth the $$ for a
few extra quarts, to be certain...

Good the put it in there. The 94 FSM that I have only gives the capacity when changing the filter. (4 quarts)

Back