• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Never take the advice of a 10 year old

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Just thought I'd share a (now) humorous moment with everyone...I arrived out here in Joshua Tree less than a month ago and already I have caused my engine to ingest large amounts of water. We've had some rain out here and there's one road (Jericho Rd, just off Sunburst for any fellow Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley people here) that floods real good. I'd never paid attention the road when dry so I didn't know how the ruts went or how deep the water got. Its a dirt road. I was taking two of my nephews out four-wheeling for their birthday. One of them had tried this hole with his father in a temporarily 2wd Jimmy and gotten stuck. He told me we'd have to hit it real fast in order to make it through. This went against everything I knew to be true, but somehow it still made sense. So, I hit it at about 15, made it approximately 45ft and it got deep enough that my bow wave came up high enough to flood my air cleaner box. It came up to right below the driver's side door. High enough that when I opened the door the corner went under, but not quite high enough to come through the door seals. However, I apparently have four holes in my floor boards, right along the pinch seam area that the water entered through just fine... Luckily we were able to clear all the water out of the cylinders and I only need an oil change and probably diff oil as well...
Word of warning for those who, like me, don't know how much force the engine shoots that water out, stand on the side away from the cylinders! We sprayed water about 15 feet and I was unfortunately right next to the engine...

Back