• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tackling that pesky shackle angle

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
So I am planning on the tackling of my rear suspension.

I do want to get too crazy, so far I am going to go with a Rubicon 3.5" or 4.5" leaf, but of course the shackles stand basically completely vertical.

Obviously not too ideal for ride or flex.

Suggestions on a plan of attack anyone? So far my only thoughts are to move to a longer spring that will push the shackle angle back, or to move the shackle frame mount point forward. Of course at which point one way or another I will have to build a longer shackle.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Examples? Anyone?

My thought, pending re-inforcement is to just move the mount point forward.

Here is the stock shackle and angle
lift1.jpg

The blue line here with a lift shackle and add-a-leaf shows the angle I have on my Jeep now, its basically 100% vertical. The red line shows the suggested move.
lift1.jpg

Last edited:
that looks like more than a 45, <--edit never mind this comment I just realized that's not your current spring eye location, I only looked at the first pic not the blue line showing your current spring eye location) I too have RE lift springs, even worse mine are HD and have not settled at all in over a year. Despite regluarly carrying around dead weight, and re-torquing the bolts. So I have a stiff arch to overcome and a nearly vertical shackle.

It sounds like you don't have your leaf packs yet in which case you should go for the longer spring if at all possible... As you know longer will give you better ride quality all by itself, the better shackle angle will only improve it more.

Last edited:
The aftermarket springs should be longer, resolving your question.

I have the RE 4.5" leafs and I am using my stock shackle. My shackle angle is just fine, with a lift shackle it would be better. RE springs are long enough to be effective for ride quality IMO.

Back