• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loud KAPOW noise when in 4wd

jsjeep98

NAXJA Forum User
i just had a few things done after i put my lift in that i couldnt do myself...the driveshaft. but when i got it back i drove it home and everything was fine but when i went wheeling the next day i put it in 4wd and started going and then all of the sudden it starts clicking and making a loud KAPOW noise. im not sure what it is but i got out and it looks like where the driveshaft and the transfer case meet. i dont have a SYE. the guy said they dont make one for the transfer case i have? so im not sure whats going on.

has anyone experienced this or know what might be wrong?

Thanks ya'll

Stop using that mechanic as he is obviously retarded because rubicon express makes one for both the NP231 and the NP242...which are the only two transfercases available in the XJ.

Maybe a streched chain? I think that's what's wrong with mine. I put it in 4wd and when I give it some gas on snow or ice it starts poping and grinding but is fine when i'm just cruising. Adavnce Adapters makes a great SYE too.

I'm seconding stretched chain. My NP242 died and whenever I was in 4wd it'd pop really loudly and make the whole jeep jump. When I had to pull a friend out of a mudhole I had it in 4lo and the front wheels weren't even turning. I then checked the Tcase fluid and instead of being the red it was a few months ago when I changed it, it was gray. Definitely toast.

But hey, look on the bright side: Transfer cases are cheap, plentiful, and easy to swap!

A stretched chain will make a very loud POP when it skips a tooth on the t-case sprocket. If the t-case works like it's supposed to but makes the loud pop when it gets in a bind in 4wd, then the chain is stretched. A badly stretched chain can also make a slight grinding sound as it droops down and rubs on the bottom of the case. If run this way for a long time the chain can wear a hole through the case......seen this happen.

yea i think you are right. thats what i was thinking it could be. the guy that had it before me said he put a NP235 in it. dont know why he would do that but he did. so is it possible to put a stronger chain in there or would i have to buy a whole new t-case. oh and what transfer cases are compatible/would be the best for a 98 cherokee? im searching for the answer right now but i havent come across anything, im sure ill find something though.

once again thanks for the help:worship:

Don't know what an NP235 is. It's pretty simple to replace the chain, and they're around $100. No such thing as a heavy duty chain, unless you upgrade the sprockets to the wider chain used in some of the heavier duty applications. Many of us wheel pretty hard with the stock 1" wide chain. It won't break, but can wear out eventually just like any other part that gets hard use. Investing in a 2wd low range kit, and using it on hard surfaces when low range is useful but 4x4 isn't needed, will go a long way towards helping your chain last a long time.

VinceYJ said:
Stop using that mechanic as he is obviously retarded because rubicon express makes one for both the NP231 and the NP242...which are the only two transfercases available in the XJ.
actually my old 85 pioneer had a np207 case, just in case you have a 2.5L(to OP)which I don't believe there is a sye out for it

Last edited:
so what you are saying is that just replaicing the chain will fix it and i will be able to use my 4wd again. but eventually this will happend again (most likely). i guess i'm just wondering how long its going to last me. i dont want it to break when im on a trail somewhere and then have no way to get out because i can only use 2wd.

so really the only other way to eliminate my problem is to get another transfer case...pretty much....

i really want a transfer case that allows me to drive it on the highway at like 60ish so i can go places but also gives me the best 4wd capability.

any transfer cases in mind?
thank you richard... if you run for NAXJA president again i will vote for you. haha

jsjeep98 said:
so what you are saying is that just replaicing the chain will fix it and i will be able to use my 4wd again. but eventually this will happend again (most likely). i guess i'm just wondering how long its going to last me. i dont want it to break when im on a trail somewhere and then have no way to get out because i can only use 2wd.

so really the only other way to eliminate my problem is to get another transfer case...pretty much....

i really want a transfer case that allows me to drive it on the highway at like 60ish so i can go places but also gives me the best 4wd capability.

any transfer cases in mind?
thank you richard... if you run for NAXJA president again i will vote for you. haha

You just replace the chain.......that's it. The chain won't break, never seen or heard of one breaking. We're all basically running the same t-case. A t-case chain needs to be replaced now and then just like a wheel bearing or a starter or a u-joint, there isn't a risk of it leaving you stranded. Most people never replace a chain, those who do rarely replace it twice. you don't need another t-case, just fix the one you have. I'd much rather have my own t-case with a new chain than get another t-case that I have no idea what shape the chain is in.

Back