• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering gearbox options

cranemann

NAXJA Member # 1481
I have seen on other websites about using a YJ steering gearbox as an upgrade to the standard one. Has anyone done this?? Does the XJ steering shaft match up to the YJ. I have done a ssearch but came up with nothing.

Thanks for the replies. What about the steering shaft and pitman arm. Will the stock work on the durango box??

What exectly are you expecting to gain? Are some Xj boxes better than others or do some go bad? Will your stock pump be enough for the bigger box? thanks

Stumpalump said:
What exectly are you expecting to gain? Are some Xj boxes better than others or do some go bad? Will your stock pump be enough for the bigger box? thanks

The larger piston in the Durango box increases the power assist output, helps with turning those big 33" + tires alot of us are running. The tighter ratio lock to lock turn also makes the wheel more responsive.

The stock pump should work fine, people run 12000lb milemarker winches in line with a power steering system on alot of vehicles. I have however seen one person on here who fitted the Durango pump on as well, with little modifications.

Thank again. I had already planned on putting a backing plate on. My steering box is very sloppy and gives me an excuse to do a little upgrading. One part at a time.

Back