• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough idle

barece

NAXJA Forum User
I went to go out to the boonies a few days ago in my '88 Cherokee 4.0, and about a mile from my house, the motor started to noticeably miss while I was just cruising along doing 35. Within a couple more minutes, it was running really rough, with an obvious miss at idle, and very little power when I floored it, while still missing. I also noticed a strong gasoline smell as I turned around to head back to my house - however, I wasn't able to localize the smell, and by the time I got home and opened the hood to poke around, I couldn't smell any gasoline at all. Weird, huh?

Then I took it for a drive last night to see if it would do it again - it didn't do it at first, but then I noticed that it was still missing a little on idle and occasionally under light acceleration. There was no gasoline smell this time. I checked the plug wires to make sure they were all firmly connected, and checked the plug harnesses on the fuel injectors to make sure they were connected, as well as smelling and feeling around the injectors to see if they were leaking externally, as well as looking the compartment over for loose vacuum hoses, wires, or anything else awry. Everything looked fine, however, and now I'm afraid to take it out into the boonies and get stranded.

I'm going to go poke at the IAC, but it's got relatively new(replaced in november) plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, so I'm not sure that's the problem. Let me know if there's anything else that might be the culprit. It's an on and off problem and it's growing kind of irritating.

One problem may be your TPS senser i has the same problem and the missing may be due to the CPS, also check the vacuum to the MAP senser, may also be a spark plug or an injector, when its ideling is the whole jeep shakeing almost like a motor mount went?
-Keep Jeepin

Back