• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the strongest ring & pinion?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
What is the strongest ring & pinion you can buy for a Dana 44? I'm using a 33-spline Detroit & axle shafts and I want to make sure there's no way the R&P will be the weak link. I'm trussing the housing also. I've always used Spicer R&P's in the past, but if there's something stronger I want to know about it. Do upgraded alloy gears exist?

theres a couple threads out there like this- people have diff opinions (pun intended)

my D44 precision 4.88's are doing well 2 years strong, 1 year on 36's, couple months on 37's. and with a detroit.

There are a lot of good gear companies. Richmond, Precision etc.

Only thing I have heard to make them better is chryo treatment. Though i haven't read much about it.

You will never avoid weak points...There will always be one somewhere. Obvious ones can be avoided like D35 axles in general.

I haven't really heard to many bad gear companies...Usually its a locker that failed, or axle shaft or wheel joint that exploded. Thus taking out the R&P in the process.

Dana Spicer make by far the best .Period. Plus they are machined so well setup will be easy. You will have two issues with Dana one they cost more and two they only offer ratio's the feel wont break. Like you can't get 4:88 for a Dana 30 because the pinion is small. The open carrier Dana 44 is a real strong carrier so it's a good candidate for a No slip or Lock-right. 4:88 gears in a Dana 44 still gives you a good size pinion and lower you start loosing pinion teeth and have to weigh the trade off in strenghth. I beat the snot out of Scout Dana 44's built like this with 36TSL SX but would take my chances with lower gears if I had to do it over. Choices,choices,choices, I with you right now on my XJ front end.

Stumpalump said:
Dana Spicer make by far the best .Period. Plus they are machined so well setup will be easy. You will have two issues with Dana one they cost more and two they only offer ratio's the feel wont break. Like you can't get 4:88 for a Dana 30 because the pinion is small. The open carrier Dana 44 is a real strong carrier so it's a good candidate for a No slip or Lock-right. 4:88 gears in a Dana 44 still gives you a good size pinion and lower you start loosing pinion teeth and have to weigh the trade off in strenghth. I beat the snot out of Scout Dana 44's built like this with 36TSL SX but would take my chances with lower gears if I had to do it over. Choices,choices,choices, I with you right now on my XJ front end.

Where did you get this info from? I've always heard Precision is the cream of the crop...

uncc civilengineer said:
Where did you get this info from? I've always heard Precision is the cream of the crop...

Consdier its OEM and most don't have issues with the stock R&P I'd say its atleast very close to accurate.

This is an easy question. ALWAYS get Dana gears if available.

No brainer.

uncc civilengineer said:

I got a lot of info from John Loyd of "Johns 4X4 and more" in Billings missori. He's the man if your in that state.He was a trail guide with me on runs we did for Jeep Jamboree,Leon Rosser,Superlift and Dick Head Bob Hazle of sports in the rough asshole in Arkansaw befor the offroad park was built. Basically you, rarely if ever hear of Dana gears breaking especially in factory stock axels. This may or not still be true but I have read in the past that after market gears are made a tad softer so they can wear in due to a non factory gear set up discrepancys. I have also heard the reason they are mad softer is so they give alittle and don't break. I say bull, get spicer whenever you can. Some shops recomend what they can get a better profit margin on and save you money too,if you want to save money on a critical area. Maybe Goatman can add.

Spoke with Randy's today and they say Spicer doesn't make 4.88's for a D44 anymore, that I will have to find somebody with old stock to get those. Can anybody confirm this? They recommend Yukon gears (although they would, it's their brand). Anybody have experience with Yukon gears. If in fact Spicer doesn't make 4.88's for a D44, what brand is the next best? Precision? TIA.

Yukons are ok...I used Precision in both of my Heeps....no problems at all...run quiet and patterned out real nice...

I've got Yukon 4.88"s in the D44 in the front of my CJ, been running it for years on 36" and 38.5" tires, no problems. (knock on Jeep!)

I had a set installed in the D44 that's going in the rear of the XJ as well. Have heard nothing negative about Yukons. Bear in mind, anything can be broken, given the wrong situation and operator.

fubar XJ said:
I've got Yukon 4.88"s in the D44 in the front of my CJ, been running it for years on 36" and 38.5" tires, no problems. (knock on Jeep!)

I had a set installed in the D44 that's going in the rear of the XJ as well. Have heard nothing negative about Yukons. Bear in mind, anything can be broken, given the wrong situation, operator or installer.

Fixed for accuracy.
:D

Precision = spicer btw

Back