• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Trimming, Snorkel woes

Dustins94Country

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
This weekend I hope to trim my fenders an inch or so (just the front for now). Unfortunately, I have the ARB snorkel. Have any of y'all had luck with trimming? I am worried there simply won't be enough room to do the trimming.
DSC_0013.jpg

I've seen people who have Knotched theirs out to fit the snorkel but it seems uou might be hitting something. There was a black one up at Galloways few months ago with bushwackers trimmed to fit an Arb snorkel if you wanted to try it.

I'm confused, what's the problem? Cut out exactly where the flare meets the body. It won't interfere with your snorkel at all.....Or am I completely missing something?

are you going to remove the flares all together? or are you hoping to relocate the flares up 1 more inch?

if you're not keeping the flares, you have TONS of room to trim. if you've never had your flares off or never seen one with the flares off, there's a lot of fender under the flare.

now if you're wanting to move the flare up at the same time, i would be you'd still have some wiggle room.

You can trim the plastic flare along the outside crease to gain an inch or so and not have to cut sheet metal. Or if your tires dont stick out too much (which they dont look like they do), you could run with no flare at all and see how you like it.

here's a picture of what i was talking about. this is my brother's xj from when we lifted it and trimmed the fenders

PICT6765.jpg

you can see the line of dirt where the flare used to meet up with the body. so like i was saying, there's a lot of metal under the flare that you can't see with the flare on

Here's mine with exactly 1" cut out of the metal with no hopes of ever going back to flares. This would not interfear with the snorkel. If you look closely you can see the scratches in the paint from the factory fender flare.

000_00901.jpg

I agree with ZacSquatch...
Notch out the flare like this:
snorkelfender.jpg

If you take your time and measure twice (or three times) to cut a little at a time. Then dry fit and trim more if neccessary. Cut a little at a time and it should be fine and no one would ever be able to tell (which by the way is what you want....I think)

Good luck and post up some pix after your done.

ZacSquatch said:
I've seen people who have Knotched theirs out to fit the snorkel but it seems uou might be hitting something. There was a black one up at Galloways few months ago with bushwackers trimmed to fit an Arb snorkel if you wanted to try it.

green50gt said:
Here's mine with exactly 1" cut out of the metal with no hopes of ever going back to flares. This would not interfear with the snorkel. If you look closely you can see the scratches in the paint from the factory fender flare.

000_00901.jpg

Haha, real men work on Jeeps in the snow. Nice pic, looks cold!!!

James

Here is my friends with 4.5in, 33's, ARB and Bushwackers. He notched the top a bit so they fit.
DSCN0341.jpg

Back