• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" or 6.5" ?

Douger

NAXJA Forum User
Im currently considering a 4.5" long arm Rock Krawker lift but I see that the 6.5" long arm isnt much more money. (at least as far as the lift itself goes) So what other considerations am I going to have to make if I up to a 6.5? Are the larger tires going to cost a ton more? Are there going to be new mechanical issues, gearing issues, or handling issues Ill have to address now vs if I stayed with the 4.5"?

I already plan on going with the SYE with CV driveshaft and the Rock Krawler X-factor steering.

Need more info. Do you have stock gearing, and if so, do you plan to swap in taller gears? How tall a tire are you planning to run? Are you willing to mess with trimming wheelwells if/as required? What about a SYE, you'll 99% need one at 6.5", maybe not at 4.5".

Here are two things that you need to consider right now....Which steering are you going to run when its 6.5" because your going get away with stock steering at 4.5" and your not with 6.5".

Secondly, what tires are you intending on running and are you willing to trim beyond 31's if you like 4.5" vs 6.5"....
My 98 has an RE 5.5 and I'm running 33's , I did the Bushwackers but by no means did I need to I just wanted to. I will also be needing to address the steering very soon because of the effects of the taller lift....

P.S. I wouldnt go taller that 4.5 if your intention in to stay with the short arms either...No way!

I've ran both and i'll never go back to 4.5 however with that being said...I ran 31's, stock gearing and no SYE....Worked out very well. Just be prepared to step up to the pump at 6.5" and if you do, you too will never go back..

Last edited:
Im planning on the SYE and CV shaft, stock gears for now, run 33's with the 6.5" or 32's with the 4.5", and I have the 8.25 rear axle.

@98XJ

As my original post says Im planning on long arm either way. 4.5" or 6.5" and Im planning to get the Rock Krawler X factor (OTK) steering either way as well.

If I go with the 4.5" I plan to run 32" tires. If I go with the 6.5" I assume I can get away with the 33's.

Stock gears (I'm assuming 3.55"s) with 32"s or especially 33"s will be tough. No power on the street and offroad, risk of overheating your tranny and engine by all the stall speed you'll need to modulate off-road, poorer gas mileage, etc. I wouldn't run anything taller than 31"s with stock gearing.

If you want to go big, re-gearing and lockers should be part of the plan.

Its totaly personal preference.. You have the right idea goin with OTK and SYE/ CV DS so its just how much money you wanna spend.. I know guys with 6.5" on 35's with stock gearin, their turds but they work. As for GEARS, I run 32's fine on 3.55's and i've seen guys run 33's, for optimal performance I would go 4.10's ar 4.56's. Its all up to you though.

Just depends on how much you wanna spend

So to sum up some of the thoughts Im hearing. Whether I go with the 4.5 long arm with 32's or the 6.5 long arm with 33's, if I stay with the stock gearing, it is going to make my XJ a turd and suck gas. Uggg

in town at least.. once you get them rollin on the highway you can pump out over 20 mpg

Douger said:
So to sum up some of the thoughts Im hearing. Whether I go with the 4.5 long arm with 32's or the 6.5 long arm with 33's, if I stay with the stock gearing, it is going to make my XJ a turd and suck gas. Uggg

The LIFT isn't the problem. Its the tires.

Lift provided some air resistance but The larger tires work against the math.

48" tires on stock gears are going to suck too...Doesn't mean a lift that can handle 48s is all bad.

You can run 3.55s with 31s easy. Getting up to 33s with 4.10 is about the same ratio and 35s with 4.56. Some like the more torque from 4.88 with 35s though as it is a heavier tire.

If the money is about the same...go with 6.5 long arm. the 33s with carry you over more stuff on the trails. 31s seem to plant the front diff a lot into trees and rocks.

Douger im running a 4.5" with long arms and I wish I would have gotten the 6" kit. Im currently running 33's with 3.73 gears and I can tell you its horrible on gas (like 13mpg freeway and 10 city). Im going to 6" and 4.56 gears sooner rather than later. Most people go bigger later and I guess I was hoping to save you the money up front.

just my 2 pennys

Running 36s with 4.5" re front coils, full traction Long arm dropping the rear from 6.5 to 4.5 leafs soon, then going 38s its all about cutting :)
4.56 gears, and running 33s on the street.

Gear it, cut it, beat it. The less you lift the more stable you will feel and go more places.

Forgot to add I've got a ax-15 5-speed transmission.
Cowmanche said:
Running 36s with 4.5" re front coils, full traction Long arm dropping the rear from 6.5 to 4.5 leafs soon, then going 38s its all about cutting :)
4.56 gears, and running 33s on the street.

Gear it, cut it, beat it. The less you lift the more stable you will feel and go more places.

98 XJ, sold the MJ I had but still have to name.
Thats on 36s before I had a truck and trailer to tow it. got 18 mpg on the highway.
19.jpg

Back