• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions? Best intake/exhaust

MjTjNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my 2000 XJ and wondering how to bring up the gas mileage a bit. The muffler needs replacing soon, and I was looking at cat back systems. I don't see the sense in getting a 2.25" cat back, I'd like to go 2.5" Two concerns: 1) I don't want a 4" outlet "fart pipe." They are ridiculous, and 2) I probably want to put a hitch on eventually, and some of the aftermarket systems could interfere with that, apparently.

Anyone got any experiences?

Thanks!

Tom

MJTJ(XJ)NJ

have you done basic maintenance so far. (spark plugs, air filter, oil change, automatic transmission fluid). My 2000 is stock aside from a throttle body spacer (which didn't seem to make a big diff) and it gets 20-22mpg on the interstate (i got the 22mpg on my original 225's but now i'm running 265/75's on the stock 3.55 gears getting 20+mpg) what are you getting now in terms of MPG around town and interstate. also what size are your tires.

IMO (and I've had my Jeep for over 12 years now) is that the stock system with a possible regear to match tires to keep your engine in it's proper powerband is probably your best bet to maintain economy. I've tried almost all of the tips and tricks, but they were all really negligible with a lift, big tires, etc. If you just HAVE to spend money, you will see some power improvements with the addition of a header and dynomax cat back, but you'll probably lose economy due to the fact that you will be pushing the skinny pedal more.

my .02

John

Back