• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick Aussie locker question

FLAGXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am fairly inexperienced with lockers in general. .. just a quick question. I have an 89 Xj with a d30 front axle. I am thinking of going with an Aussie locker in the front. I have automatic hubs. If it is in 2wd, will I experience the "binding" in the front axle when turning tight corners with the Aussie? I know in 4wd it will. .. I was just curious if anyone had much experience with these.

Ive got one in the front, dont really notice it is even there. It seems to bind/click/ratchet/what ever you want to call it, a bit more when it is raining or snow on the ground, in 2wd. Otherwise, about 3K miles later and some hard wheelin, it still works great.

If you want to know how to install one, search for a write up I did on the install of one.

azranger said:
I am fairly inexperienced with lockers in general. .. just a quick question. I have an 89 Xj with a d30 front axle. I am thinking of going with an Aussie locker in the front. I have automatic hubs. If it is in 2wd, will I experience the "binding" in the front axle when turning tight corners with the Aussie? I know in 4wd it will. .. I was just curious if anyone had much experience with these.

You won't notice it at all in 2wd in the front. The Jeep will act and sound just like it does stock. I've owned three of these (and still have one in my front D44), and they are great units.

It is a good unit, I noticed it when turning as it would click like a rachet does in a way. This is very normal and will quiet down after a while. It is very similar to a Power Trax locker as they are a little noisy at first but quiet down after a few hundred miles.

I have had my Aussie locker for over a year. I dont have the front axle disconnect. I have had only one problem, hard braking while turning. Whether on rain slicked streets, ice or snow, an autlocker (all of them) will sense the braking force as one tire is on the threshold of locking as a slippage (which it is) and lock up the front end causing both tires to break traction and the front end to push. Once you quite driving it like a sports car (braking into the apex) and start driving it like a truck, brake then turn, then accelerate there are no problems. its real touchy on iced over roads. THIS IS NOT SPECIFIC TO THE AUSSIE LOCKER, any auto locker without the front axle disconnect will behave this way.

(Let the flaming begin)

John

Is the Aussie D30 locker a full locker? Will it lock with a wheel up? :) You know you want to spend more time looking up search links and posting him, don't waste all that time! It's ok, just post up for us newbs!

James

vwkaferman said:
Is the Aussie D30 locker a full locker? Will it lock with a wheel up? :) You know you want to spend more time looking up search links and posting him, don't waste all that time! It's ok, just post up for us newbs!

James

It wouldnt take more than 5 minutes to find all the questions to your answeres...

It is not a full locker. Lunchbox style locker.

It will lock with both wheels up, it locks with one wheel in the air.

Back