• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS Problem

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
2000 3.5 RE 31's
When coming to a stop my abs kicks in no matter what. Its always right as i am coming to a stop (less than 10 mph) but no matter the road type my pedal surges and its locks and unlocks my brakes! Searched cant find anything and am going to winterfest in a couple of days...the problem has been around but definately gotten worse. Before i take it to the dealership for an emergency expensive job was wondering if anyone has any advice on this?????

Sounds strange that it would activate at such a low speed.
1st thing I would do is check the speed sensors at each wheel and see if they are dirty...Also check the tone rings as well. Thats all I can think of.

The best way would be to get access to a scanner that will show the live data from the ABS module and watch your wheel speeds. The scanner will show which sensor to check out. Like the other poster said crap in the pickup rings and loose sensors will do this..

Tommyr all the way. Thats the place to start. Try to search an old issue of popular mechanics they had a write up on antilocks. Ill check back here tonight. I have the mag in the garage and can check it out tonight if you need help. I have heard of people having short life from aftermarket wheel speed sensors. Also heard about mud/rust problems. Kind of makes sense ............the most vulnerable part of the system is down in the nasty road slop and mud/moisture. Go gentle with any connectors. Don't damage any weather pack seals or you will have even more trouble in the future. Use light coat of electrical grease on connectors and terminals. Don't go overboard with the grease or you can cause an hydraulic effect and push the pins out of the connectors.

Back