• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

at what height is the front DS an issue

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well i have about 5.5 inches of lift now with 35s and really like it. flexes pretty well, and my angle grinder has been my best buddy, so rubbing isn't too big an issue, however it does happen. i was planning on going up another 2 inches this summer. and have begun getting everything. i have a SYE, tom woods DS is ordered, brakelines, and shackles. i need to get my steering straight, but then i realized...what about the front DS. at what height does it become an issue

Short arm, long arm or drop brackets all of these make a differance. Shock length does also.

More info is needed

Your front shaft will probably be too long. I could bottom my front shaft out with 5.5" of lift and 9009 shocks with short arms.

Short arms allow the axle to swing too far back. If you use long arms or drop brackets you should be fine.

short arms at 6-7"?..... ouch

I understand the short arms and driveshaft bottoming as "TNT" has mentioned, But I would think that the double cardan portion would reach it's limits before you flex your driverside so much that the shaft actually bottoms out. But with longarms or drop brackets the front driveshaft will want to separate at about 8"

and if the only real issue your trying to clear up is tire rubbage. Use bumpstops! Alot cheaper and the rollover factor is alot less.

ktm racer 419 said:
short arms at 6-7"?..... ouch

I understand the short arms and driveshaft bottoming as "TNT" has mentioned, But I would think that the double cardan portion would reach it's limits before you flex your driverside so much that the shaft actually bottoms out. But with longarms or drop brackets the front driveshaft will want to separate at about 8"

and if the only real issue your trying to clear up is tire rubbage. Use bumpstops! Alot cheaper and the rollover factor is alot less.

My stock front shaft can handle 3 more inches of droop no problem, it bottoms out the slip yoke first. Long arms tend to overextend the driveshaft before drop brackets do.

nekocopter said:
Your front DS has a slip yoke? I think not.

It has a yoke that slips up and the upper portion of the shaft, the other end hooks up to the pinion yoke. Without a slip yoke how would the driveshaft length be able to extend or compress a needed? Every XJ driveshaft (front or rear) uses a slip yoke of one type or another.

I think slip joint is the term your after.

I had no probs with short arms and drop brackets (5.5 re). Now that I've gone to a long arm radius 3 link and 7.5" of lift my front dshaft has splines showing just sitting at ride height. I'll be extending mine approx 3 inches.

Heres a pic from high angle that was in billavista's tech info

CV%20shaft%20parts.jpg

Frank Z said:
It's a splined shaft not a slip yoke.

A splined shaft with a built in yoke maybe.

There are 2 kinds of slip yokes, a driveshaft slip yoke and a transmission slip yoke. The yoke is the part the u-joint mounts in and if the yoke slides on splines it is called a slip yoke. If you would like me to call it another name I could.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why you would go to 7.5" of lift with short arms.:dunno: Makes no sense to me. How do you use your rig that would require that lift height?

Back