• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember install?

gorilla_skater

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and didn't find anything, so maybe I'm nuts. This is probably going to sound goofy, but which way does the tranny crossmember install? I think mine is backwards. shifting everything off line.

We did an SYE last week and weren't too sure which way the crossmember went on.

The best way I can describe it is that on one side the distance from the end of the crossmember to the bolt is about 17". The other side is 17.5". Which one should be on the drivers side?

This is a 98 Xj Sport with and auto and 231 t-case.

Thanks in advance.

With the tranny mount bolted up, the crossmember should only fit one way.

Goatman said:
With the tranny mount bolted up, the crossmember should only fit one way.

My motor mounts must be going because I was able to get it on the other way.

I'm not getting the exhaust rattling now, but I still don't know which way is right, so if someone can verify, I would appreciate it.

The only thing that matters is that it bolts up without putting your trans mount in a bind........if it bolted right up you should be good to go.

I would not recomend doing what I did but I had to turn my crossmember around to get a poly transmission mount in. It was the correct part number and it fit fine with transfercase crosmember installed reverse. The poly bushing transmitts way to much vibration and will come out at the first opportunity. I think they put alot of holes in them for different engine transmission options and reverse should be ok if it lines up with the holes you want.

gorilla_skater said:
My motor mounts must be going because I was able to get it on the other way.

I'm not getting the exhaust rattling now, but I still don't know which way is right, so if someone can verify, I would appreciate it.
The top/front/pass side has an indentation for the exhaust pipe!

jeepownzme said:
You can also find the 2 bolt holes for the transfer case skid - those should be on the left side...

Actually, the holes for the skid the the BEST way I've found to determine the proper orientation. That really helped answer my question. The bolt holes for the factory t-case skid should be towards the rear of the XJ.

old_vs_new.jpg

Back