• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with shock choice!!

97rubicon3.5

NAXJA Forum User
ok. i just chewed up and spit out my rubicon express twin tube shocks. i got a 3.5 inch lift with 31s. should i go with the OME shocks or the bilstein 5150s. and what about the valving??? 170/60 or 255/70??!? Keep in mind i really enjoy airing the piss out of my xj. so what should i do? Should i choose the valving by tire size???

Last edited:
IMHO, if you are looking for a quality shock, a gas pressurized, monotube shock is the way to go. When I get back to the same doggone zipcode as my truck I get to install some Rubicon monotubes, and I can report what they will feel like. Ive used all kinds of shocks over the years, and I have to tell you, that with NO exceptions, the only shocks I felt (in a before/after type situation where I was familiar with the vehicle) that were ANY kind of an improvement were some Bilstien 5125s, and a set of FOX shocks.

not to hijack the thread, but if you end up with the 5150's... do tell what size/part number you end up getting, as im in need of shocks for a 3.5" RE kit thats going on my 90 xj 2door

as for the valving... im sure you're gonna hear others say you should go 255/70...

Back