• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amazing ignition problem

exftman

NAXJA Forum User
Im Looking at buying a 95 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 75k, but there's something wrong with the ignition... ... its not sparking. A mechanic came out to owners house; said there is no power getting to the ignition system fuse (bad wiring or ground) but did not go any further with a diagnosis due to rain. Owner has already replaced are CPS sensor/ coil/ map sensor/ spark plugs/distributor cap and rotor/ ECU computer/ and neutral safety switch. Any help at all would be nice. Im stumped as to what would be the next part to replace if I were to buy this jeep.

Last edited:
sounds like the mechanic is just throwing parts and money at the problem, hoping to eventually nail it and fix it. i wouldnt trust him with my truck. sorry i have no help for you other than grab a screwdriver, digital multimeter and a couple jumper wires and go to town

Since the CPS has been replaced, It's probably

the (Pick-up Coil) AKA Camshaft Position Sensor,
Deep inside the Dist. I paid $47 at napa for a

93, 4.0 Cherokee, It requires pulling the dist

and replacing from the bottom side, if it's the

same as my 93. You also have to pull the gear

before you can get it off, Knock out a roll pin

to get it off.

the guy said it was cranking but it wasn't getting any spark.

Your just burning money by throwing parts at it. If you cant do it you need to pays someone competent to TROUBLE SHOOT the problem. I'm not being a smart ass but I have been doing this forever and throwing parts at it is not the answer. Someone needs to use a wiring schematic and go in and "pin" it out. That means follow the print (schematic or some call it diagram) From point to point. Its like traveling. You don't just start driving, you look at a map and follow the lines from point to point. In the end it could have a very simple thing wrong with it.

exftman said:
No, it wont crank at all.

So which is it???? It won't spark?, Won't Crank? or Won't spark because it won't crank? :twak:

You need to be a lot more specific!!!!! :nono:

If it won't crank, what have they done to fix, or test that area? battery, cables, starter, starter relay.....???

How much are they asking for the jeep? How many miles are on it?

gotta make sure we're speaking the same language here.

"Crank" means the starter turns the engine. Is it cranking?

If it really isn't cranking, all the ignition parts in the world won't help.

If it's cranking but not starting, and if there's no spark, is it throwing a code?

Back