• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions on fender flares

XJ33P3R

NAXJA Forum User
If you do any wheeling on tight trails, the flares won't last long. My Bushwackers were the biggest waste of 400 dollars. Save your money. Only reason mine are still on my rig, are for legal reasons.

2x....

Bushwackers aren't that tough, unless you mean "Tuff" looking.. Yeah, they look cool, but aren't as strong as they look..

I suggest trim and re-locate your stock flares..

Elias
Eh-less-us

well ill probable just relocate the stock fenders and if i like it ill keep it but if i don't ill probable go with the rusty's.

Thanks for the help

I have the Rustys flares (front only) and love them got to cut a lot. Mine are really flexable but I havent wacked them on any trees yet either. i will post pics if you want.

SKIM said:
I have the Rustys flares (front only) and love them got to cut a lot. Mine are really flexable but I havent wacked them on any trees yet either. i will post pics if you want.

Can you post some pics so i can see what they look like. Thanks

TJ flares, they are cheap, and stand up to tons of abuse.

there are so many pictures of XJ's with TJ flares. hint hint search "TJ flares"

I think I'm going to try TJ flares but I'm going to use zip ties to hold them on, instead of bolting them

Ya TJ flares look good on a Cherokee i might consider them for mine but i think that ill do the stock XJ flare relocated option first.

Matt98XJ said:
If you do any wheeling on tight trails, the flares won't last long. My Bushwackers were the biggest waste of 400 dollars. Save your money. Only reason mine are still on my rig, are for legal reasons.

Well, mine are still together... And I wheel prettty hard. They are scrached up and I think I have one mounting hole that has "widened". I have had them on my 87 since 02. I think the key to mine staying in tact is I mount them using the blue plastic wall anchors that expand when you screw into them. When too much stress pushes against the flares, they pop off. I know that's not a solution for everyone, but it works for me. I like the look of the flares. Also, The CHP's jump on you here in bako if you do not have your tires covered.

jrowell said:
When too much stress pushes against the flares, they pop off. I know that's not a solution for everyone, but it works for me.

Well popping off is better then it cracking or braking all together.

Matt98XJ said:

You couldn't be more correct if you were Henry Kissinger.

Bushwackers are absolutely garbage if you hit the trails hard or do any serious flexing. Cut the fenders or remove them entirely IMHO.

:piratefla

i have thr rustys in the front very ,very flexible.you will not break,crack or rip these.bushwackers are garbage and have to buy the whole set when you damage them.rustys you can buy separetely.when i finally got around to cutting the rear a week ago i used a pair off a comanchee turned out real nice just a little bit of work as i did not use the stock mounting on the mj flares.i cut off all the excess plastic off the back of the flares and some on each side and used stainless sheetmetal screws and zipped them on looks stock just bigger opening.this a cheap and easy way to retain stock look without a gap at the bottom of the flair when using the xj flares.the tj flares just look like shit plain and simple i'll try and post some pics tomorrow

Here is my 'ol XJ

131971531205_0_ALB.jpg

649205951205_0_ALB.jpg

730971531205_0_ALB.jpg

390971531205_0_ALB.jpg

68456311805_0_ALB.jpg

She was a sweet XJ...

don't buy rusty's ...they're poop, i had them and they all broke within 2 months of installing them, they don't handle abuse at all. get all rear tj flares from collin bros and make them fit for a much cheaper route. i've had trees wedged in my rear wheelwells and the tj flares just bend back into natural shape.

Back