• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeak/whistle update

RoadTrippin

NAXJA Forum User
Ive posted a few times on here recently about a squeak that has developed on the XJ. Just for a refresher, when I go to start the Jeep in the morning when it has been sitting all night and the outside air temp is below 30ish a squeak can be heard when driving, though it goes away usually within 10 minutes. This squeak becomes more constant as speed increases and almost all of the time cannot be heard at idle. There is no squeak when it is warmer out or when the engine has made it up to temp.

I replaced the serp belt and tightended the intake manifold bolts as I noticed they were a little loose. I was thinking possibly brakes but, I just replaced those last weekend. Ive heard everything from harmonic balancer to idler pulley and even some suggestions that it could be the alt. To me it seems like if it was any one of those it would squeak all the time instead of just when it is moving.

My question being is this ok to drive on and let go since it seems to only make the noise when cold. Or should I decommision it for a few days and figure this out. I hate throwing money at problems blindly and not knowing what it is.

TIA
Dave.

Back