• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Country XJ's keeping their cladding?

I assume you refer to the rubber molding on the rocker pannels as cladding. If that is correct...yes. I pulled the molding off the wife's 94 country. The problem was the double-sided tape that held them on. I finally ended up using an abrasive wheel to remove all the old adhesive. The original color was black and I use a rattle can of black primer to repaint. It won't win any beauty contests, but at 6 feet you can't tell anything was ever done to it.

I have seen people just re-paint the cladding grey. Looks OK, but not real great if you know what I mean. My doors got so tore up from the rocks I finally installed a set of JRCS door guards. They are made from 11 ga steel and are bolted directly to the body. Considering where you live, a good dose of clear silicone to keep the snow and salt from rusting out the body behind the panels is a good idea. Mine started out as a 96 country edition before I got caught up with the wrong crowd.:looney:

standard.jpg

I pulled it from both of mine. On the 96 I painted it with the spray on bedliner. On the 92 I'm still repairing the rust that was underneath. It will receive the same treatment as the 96. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
I pulled it from both of mine. On the 96 I painted it with the spray on bedliner. On the 92 I'm still repairing the rust that was underneath. It will receive the same treatment as the 96. JIM.

Got any Pics of the 96? I was thinking about doing the same.

CodyB said:
Got any Pics of the 96? I was thinking about doing the same.

An old pic., but the only clean one I could find. JIM.
MVC-029S.jpg

Back