• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver's door hinges separating...

It depends on how bad the hinge is ripped off the body. If its just starting you should be fine welding it while open, but if it is barely hanging on you might be better off taking the fender off to weld the hinge with the door closed so its alignment doesn't get messed up.

Jeep has a bulletin on this and has two different repair procedures for this depending on how far the welds are torn. Both involve adding a reinforcement bracket. Part and info available from dealer. I found this covered a 1997, but I would think this bracket should work on pretty much all years.

i just got done doing this. top hinge fell off for the second time. (first time i wasnt hte owner and didnt do the repair. here is what i did. it sucks and is a long task but my hinge is never going to fall off again. mine had been welded b4 so when it came off this time it took metal with it so first thing i did was remove the door and cut out where the hinge use to be. then i put in a patch panel and backing plate. after that i reinstalled hinge onto door and put it up to the jeep and tacked it in place for proper fit. then i unbolted the door again and welded all around. after this i let cool and reinstalled door. total time was around........3 hours. make sure you have some help with the doors, there pretty heavy. (mine being a 2door)

Im getting ready to do this as well. My drivers door was been welded. But my pass. is starting to peel away. Its getting into the fender.

rubiconrescue: You wouldnt happen to have any pictures of what you cut out and what you did for a backing piece and all woudl you???

My drivers door is still messed up...But I think the hinges are ok. Its the darn door skin. The door skin is moving around on the inner door shell. Not quite sure what to do there... I always thought once that happens the door is trash. But Im going to try to clean off some areas and stitch weld the door skin back on tight. Well see.

J.

Back