• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wheel issue.

97RedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 sport with 6" lift and at any time you can pull back on the steering wheel and it will pull towards you about an inch or more but will not pop off and you can still turn the wheels. can anyone help me out with this problem?

thanks

http://elcaminocentral.com/article95.html

Maybe this is what you are talking about. I used these instructions to fix my loose steering wheel. It took me about six hours. If you take it to a shop they will charge from $100 to $200 You can rent tools needed for this at Autozone. These type of steering wheels are used in your Jeep.

Cox89XJ said:
http://elcaminocentral.com/article95.html

Maybe this is what you are talking about. I used these instructions to fix my loose steering wheel. It took me about six hours. If you take it to a shop they will charge from $100 to $200 You can rent tools needed for this at Autozone. These type of steering wheels are used in your Jeep.

Unfortunately, the 97 does not have the Saginaw column in question.

My 99 tilt column has some up and down play, but I don't think that's what you're talking about here. I have not yet figured out where in the mechanism the problem is, but it's not a loose bolt.

Unfortunately, the 99 FSM I have also does not have any instructions on disassembling or repairing the column, only removing it whole. But definitely, it should not be doing what it's doing, and I suspect that some lock ring or other attachment has gone missing to allow it to pull outward.

You might consider going to a junkyard and seeing either if they have one for sale, or even if they have one loose in a vehicle that you can study to see if you can figure out what's wrong.

And remember not to work on the wheel and column without making sure that the airbag is disarmed!

Back