• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Don't be too p@ssed off

XJIDAHO

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping out my ABS on my 91 to regular power brakes. I can get everything for cheap from a buddy who has a 91 donor. I'm thinking maybe with going with a dual diaphram booster 95+. Does anyone know what will be the EASIEST way to do this would be? I don't want to have to do any mods if I don't need to. If at all possible could anybody list what parts will I need, along with the process of going about the swap? I can pull the hard lines, proportioning valve, etc from the other 91. Will the lines swap or do I need different ones? OR can I just bend the original ABS lines to fit? I've never played to much with master cyl. and boosters much and I want to have everything lined up so I can just do it without my rig being down running for parts. If it is any easier to email me with the list here is an address... [email protected]
I have tried searching and get several different answers on how to do this, and none of them seem to jive!?!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I did it on my 89 that had ABS. I had to redrill my brake pedal. If I did it again I would have gotten the brake pedal with the M/C and Booster from the boneyard. I got mine out of a 99 Classic for $50. Get the proportioning valve and what lines you can while at it. Do a search, this has been covered a bunch. I moved my windsheild washer bottle forward a little to make room for the larger booster. This MOD is not hard to do and well worth the trouble.

Last edited:
XJIDAHO said:
I'm swapping out my ABS on my 91 to regular power brakes. I can get everything for cheap from a buddy who has a 91 donor. I'm thinking maybe with going with a dual diaphram booster 95+. Does anyone know what will be the EASIEST way to do this would be? I don't want to have to do any mods if I don't need to. If at all possible could anybody list what parts will I need, along with the process of going about the swap? I can pull the hard lines, proportioning valve, etc from the other 91. Will the lines swap or do I need different ones? OR can I just bend the original ABS lines to fit? I've never played to much with master cyl. and boosters much and I want to have everything lined up so I can just do it without my rig being down running for parts. If it is any easier to email me with the list here is an address... [email protected]
I have tried searching and get several different answers on how to do this, and none of them seem to jive!?!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The easiest way would be to pull everything off the donor and get a '96 booster, prop valve, and MC from the parts house or pick and pull. You will need the pedal assembly from the '91 non-ABS donor as there are some differences between the Bendix ABS pedal assembly and the non ABS set up. The brake light switch will swap over. Pull all the fuses for the ABS system in the power dist box under the hood. You will have to move the washer bottle forward some, but it isn't too difficult. You will have some fabrication of brake lines but having the '91 non-ABS lines near by to compare to will help. You will lose the brake warning light when the emg/parking brake is on because of the change in wiring between the ABS and non-ABS system. You can work around this with some studying of the FSM wiring diagrams.

I went from the POS Bendix system on my '91 to a '91 non-ABS system then upgraded to a '99 booster/MC and it took some extra fab of the pedal for the ’99 stuff. The '96 booster should be an easier swap than the '99 due to the '97 design change.

Try this link: I did a brief overview years ago when I scrapped my Bendix stuff:
http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm

Bones :skull1:

Back