• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade pre-oiler

montanaman said:
Do you think it's even worth it?
OK I'll bite, even though I've never built one. I've read that every dry start puts wear equivalent to 500 highway miles on the bearings. I want one!!!

The product description is a little vague: Does it rob pressure/volume from the oiling system after startup? Does it actually starve the system after the reservoir is depleted?

I've heard of other systems that use electric pumps. I've read of systems that won't allow the starter to run until the system has a pre-determined pressure. I've read of systems that pump after shutdown for extra heat extraction.

That's probably the approach I'll take someday. I'm thinking of using a second sump, leaving the primary oiling system the hell alone.

Happy hunting! Mike

It slowly fills the bottle when the engine is running through a check valve and orifice. Before you start cranking, it has an electrically operated valve to release the oil under pressure to prelube everything.

I've this used, more commonly, as a post oiler to keep a small flow of oil going through the turbo after shutdown to help cool it and avoid cooking any stagnant oil in a red hot turbo.

lawsoncl said:
I've this used, more commonly, as a post oiler to keep a small flow of oil going through the turbo after shutdown to help cool it and avoid cooking any stagnant oil in a red hot turbo.

Not really relavent, but the locomoitves I work with/on have a turbo lube oil pump the runs while priming the fuel system and for ~30 minutes after you shut the engine down to pre lube and then to cool the turbo.

Probably be a PITA to find a pump, filter etc, to do a similar setup on an XJ for prelubing the engine though...

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking into this, and I've decided to go with a "Passive" system like in the link above. Basically, when the engine oil comes up to pressure, it sends oil and pressure up into the reservoir mounted upside-down. There is a check valve that opens only when the power is on -- it's controlled by a 12V solenoid. As soon as you turn off the power, that valve closes, and pressure and oil is saved in the bottle. When you turn the key back on again, the valve is opened, pressure is released from the bottle and feeds oil through the bearing galleries before you engage the starter. You install it with a tee fitting (1/8" NPT) in your OP sender location.

The other type of system uses an electric pump to take oil out of the sump and put it into the galleries (via the same kind of tee). I don't like that because it involves having a tube come out of your oil pan where the drain bolt was ... not good for a jeep that leaves the pavement. And the electric motors sometimes fail.

So this is basically a plumbing sort of challenge. What bottle to use, where to get the solenoid valve, what kind of hose to use, etc. (maybe quick disconnects to drain the hoses during oil changes)

I found some more instructions on the net ... http://www.prelube.com/freeconstuctionplans.html

Hope you find this helpful.

montanaman said:
The other type of system uses an electric pump to take oil out of the sump and put it into the galleries (via the same kind of tee). I don't like that because it involves having a tube come out of your oil pan where the drain bolt was ... not good for a jeep that leaves the pavement. And the electric motors sometimes fail.

Do you specificly have to use the drain plug? Why create your own intake for the the pump? Pull the pan, drill a proper sized hole and then weld a 1/4" or 1/8" NPT or whatever size is needed bung to it. Could install this off to the side, a little higher up the pan, etc.

Could even go as far as to create your own internal pickup tube so if the outside fitting get's broken off, it's above the level the oil is as so it doesn't drain your oil out.

hmm please do this i want to see how it works out. How much will it cost, in theroy it seems worth it to me, though i am one for preventive measures and maintance when ever possible. Plus i have a recent rebuild, wouldnt mind seeing this one last 250,000 miles and run like a champ (yeah i know not asking allot but i mean a CHAMP!) it would make me feel good knowing it was getting all that lube at start up.

Last edited:
my jeep pre-oils the pavement

I have a 3qt system from www.masterlube.net and it has worked flawlessly for several years now. I never hear noisy lifters even in cold weather at start up and dont worry nearly as much about oil pressure when in serious offcamber suituations. If you have the money, it wont be wasted on a product like this. I see it as cheap insurence.

AARON

Back