• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Motor?

caglezxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am upgrading my front axle again. I am putting a Dana 60 out of a 78-79 ford in it. It has Dedenbear Knuckles, High Steer Arms with the fifth hole, it is locked with a detroit with 5:13's. Also it has yukon axle shafts 35 spline. I also ordered a set of front disc brake brackets to run the chevy rotors and calipers. Also I will be running drive flanges. I hope you see where this is going. So next is a V8. I am thinking about a 383 Stroker, Maybe crate engine from the dealership. What is the best engine for the money? I also believe the th400 tranny is the better transmission? Is this right? My built dana 44 is for sale also, or trade for the following. V8 Motor, Tranny and Transfer case.

I could do a 454, but I have heard some good things about a 383 stroker. And price is good. I know a 454 in a xj would be very tight. But very awesome as well.

The GM Performance 383 crate motor has awesome torque spec for a small block...

I think you'd be happier with the 5.13's and the 383. That's just me though. It'd be the small block, easier to shoehorn into the xj, not an unmanageable amount of torque. Just curious, but has anyone had issues with v8's breaking the motor mounts loose in an xj? I'd imagine you'd have to reinforce the frame a considerable amount where the motor mounts would go.

I will be going with a 383 crate from GM. My buddy is going to buy it for me sense he works there and I get his discounts.

Back