• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible Steering upgrades??

95XJMichigan

NAXJA Forum User
Well my TRE's all need to be replaced because of normal wear and tear. Im on 31's locked in the front. My question is should I just use this as an excuse to upgrade to something like JCR's 1 ton or something else? Or is that way overkill for 31's?? I will be upgrading to 32-33s within a year.

It never hurts to have beefy steering, even on a stock rig. You are probably better off by doing some sort of upgrade. No sence in putting $$$ into stock steering.

The JCR 1 ton stuff is good stuff, and at a competitive price too.

You could get a stock ZJ tie rod at the salvage yard. It is a big step up from the stock XJ one and won't cost as much as an aftermarket part.

95XJMichigan said:
Does reaming out the knuckles to accept the larger TRE's weaken them much? Or is that pretty much a non issue?

Ever so slightly, but lots have done it without any issues(at least I haven't herd of any).

Drill out to 5/8", and use snap-on part # R121 as to ream it out. Check often, till you get it to where the taper needs to be.

95XJMichigan said:
Does reaming out the knuckles to accept the larger TRE's weaken them much? Or is that pretty much a non issue?

reaming.gif

Back