• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC removal

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
i removed the top of my cherokee so i really have no use for the heater or AC i would like to take it out but not sure if they make a belt for a non ac 4.0L anyone take the AC out of their XJ's? i got a 90

There is an idler pulley in the place of the A/C compressor that was at least used in 1989. You should be able to do the same.

Smittty9785 said:
i removed the top of my cherokee so i really have no use for the heater or AC i would like to take it out but not sure if they make a belt for a non ac 4.0L anyone take the AC out of their XJ's? i got a 90

i am sure this idea has already occurred to you but why not leave it there and convert to on board air. if the roof is gone i am guessing it's a trail rig now. and oba is nice to have. not a necessity but a really nice luxury

cumorglas said:
i am sure this idea has already occurred to you but why not leave it there and convert to on board air. if the roof is gone i am guessing it's a trail rig now. and oba is nice to have. not a necessity but a really nice luxury
yes that would be nice but how much would that be? take out the AC pump or use that as the existing pump and get a compressor? please let me know what would be nice

Smittty9785 said:
yes that would be nice but how much would that be? take out the AC pump or use that as the existing pump and get a compressor? please let me know what would be nice

its pretty easy and cheap to do. you use the A/C compressor as the air compressor. remove the condenser and all the fittings. buy a pressure switch to run the clutch, buy an oiler to oil the compressor, and a water separator to dry the output air (so you dont have a bunch of oil in the tank) and a bunch of fittings and reducers. including the tank i spent like $100 on mine..

DSC00052-1.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

-Tim

on a scale 1-10 how difficult is it. i remember back in the day i tried to while a remote starter and no joke theer were like 100 wires and i never installed it. too damn difficult. but looks pretty basic. thank you

all the fittings are simple. they are all NPT threads, so get them from the plumbing section. the brass tubing really helps dissipate the heat so the hose doesnt melt. there are 2 wires on mine. there is a wire going from the a/c clutch 12v to the pressure switch and then one going from the pressure switch to a toggle in the cab. i flick the toggle, and the pressure switch cuts the compressor on/off automatically.

scale of 1 -10?
1 being changing a tire and 10 being rebuilding your engine
i would say 2.5

http://www.viaircorp.com/90100.html viair switch from ebay

-Tim

which one did you buy which PSI model?

and in fact i am reparing my valve stem on my 35" tire and it is a pain in the ass. but maybe thats cause its a beadlock

Smittty9785 said:
which one did you buy which PSI model?

i used the 90102, it cuts off at 145PSI. it depends on what you wanna use your OBA for. my front ARB uses 90PSI (separately regulated) so my tank never drops below that level, keeping my front ARB locked even when the comp is cycling. I can fill up 35s from 12psi to 35psi in 1:27 which is nice, and with my tank i can also run my 1/2" impact gun easily.

-Tim

hmm nice. you dont mind if i keep sending you PM's about this. im gonna convert that now so i might need some advice

Smittty9785 said:
hmm nice. you dont mind if i keep sending you PM's about this. im gonna convert that now so i might need some advice

go for it. it is one of my favorite mods so far. dont forget the teflon tape. i got my oiler at lowes, the dessicator at sears. the fittings at home depot

-Tim

awesome dont be mad if i ask you some of these things more than once because i might be buying parts sepretly and doing it at a later date. but i want to get it going very soon. Heading to the dunes for the weekend would be nice to be able to air up my beadlocks when i air down to 5

oh right on thanks..

Back