• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85 XJ 4wd (vacuum issues)

85Chief

NAXJA Forum User
Another vacuum thread- I know

2 Problems I have-
(1) my vacuum lines have been melted in half from my exhaust. Not quite sure how, but they are melted in half.
(2) The two vacuum canisters that are located by the passenger's side fender don't have any lines feeding in to them. I do have the lines running up to them (the melted ones) but I'm at a loss for which ones are suppose to go where.

So basically I'm In need of someone with the same set up to take pictures of those canisters and the lines running into them (mine are color coded yellow, green white and green I think). Would it be easiest to get some sort of vacuum replacement kit (if they sell them), or just to piece together the lines and seal them with silicone?

We are dealing with an 85 XJ, 2.8 Auto

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Clay

Since you haven't heard from anyone with a 2.8,I will offer a couple of thoughts. I have an 85 2.5L but the basic layout is probably similar. You should be able to identify the vacuum source with the engine running provided, of course, that it isn't melted on the other end. This goes to the larger center inlet of both the cannisters. Cruise goes to the front canister outlet. The Heater/AC control line coming through the firewall goes to the rear cannister outlet.

On mine all vacuum lines are black with the exception of the blue 'vent' one you mentioned and a sort of purplish line coming through the firewall to the heat control valve. I'm not sure about colors for the lines associated with the front axle vacuum disconnect motor but this is not connected to the cannisters in any event.

I hope this helps a bit if you hadn't already figured it out.

Back