• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ grand cherokee D44 swap in XJ?

barnettzack

NAXJA Forum User
its getting harder to find a XJ dana 44 from a 87-89. I live in alaska and there seems to be a empty supply of them. but i've found two dana 44's out of a WJ listed at a junk yard. (if you don't already know these are NOT c-clip like the ZJ D44) so question is, do these axles use the same internals as just a regular dana 44, like i've worked on a few of them before and the axle shafts are 30 spline, but are the carrier, ring and pinion the same? anybody retro fit this for leaf springs? i also know the new jeeps use a 5 on 5 bolt pattern. so could the older axle shafts with 5 on 4.5 pattern and ZJ disc rotor. make them work with the old rims?

~Zack

I do believe that the WJ and ZJ D44s are aluminum and most manufactures will not support or recommend anything like lockers and such due to it being aluminum. Sounds like you'd be backing yourself into a hole. If it has the aluminum D44 center section... forget it.

Last edited:
RCman said:
I do believe that the WJ and ZJ D44s are aluminum and most manufactures will not support or recommend anything like lockers and such due to it being aluminum. Sounds like you'd be backing yourself into a hole. If it has the aluminum D44 center section... forget it.

You are correct on all counts...they are trash.

Aluminum axlehousings are the part that should not be.

Someone streaked the sheets on that one.

Back