• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 w/ RE HD SYE = oil orifice tube pops out when I hit big bumps?

bigolexj

NAXJA Forum User
Title says it all. The tube won't go in any further than it already is and it keeps popping itself out for no apparent reason. Why on God's green earth didn't someone put a hose clamp or something on that oil feed tube?

How far am I supposed to put the tube in? I keep having to pull the rear cover and remove the snap rings just to re-insert the tube. It has a "lip" on it and a small grommet inside, the tube won't go all the way into the pump pickup because of the lip and grommet. Is it supposed to be really tight or just having the tube pushed into the pump pickup enough to get the job done?

I just installed an AA HD SYE in my NP231 two days ago. How can you tell when the pickup tube has disengaged from the oil pump? Obviously you aren't taking it apart constantly to check.

M4Madness said:
I just installed an AA HD SYE in my NP231 two days ago. How can you tell when the pickup tube has disengaged from the oil pump? Obviously you aren't taking it apart constantly to check.

My passenger and I have heard a small "clunk" the first time the tube popped out. That prompted me to check it. Since then, have had to re-open the rear cover and remove the oil pump and it has been out of the pump both times. The case also gets really hot when this happens so I end up changing the fluid three times so far. That's how I can tell it's not pumping these last two times as I can barely hear anything in my truck (no doors, no hatch, straight through muffler).

I've installed a temp gauge into the drain fitting using parts from Earl's. The fluid was getting up to 300-330 degrees for a few minutes when the tube was out and staying under 150 degrees when the tube is in and functioning. Obviously that can't be good for the internals/seals when it gets to 300! :/

If it continues, I will get some safety wire and force it to stay in place. This is ridiculous!!! :looney:

Wow, I must say it is incredible that you could hear that tiny little tube popping out and landing less than inch down. Put some sort of adhesive I guess. Like high temp silicon, then stick it in and let it dry. Should hold.

Try replacing the O-ring and just make sure the oil pump is lined up correctly.

Last edited:
Back