• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case linkage problem

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since I got my Jeep, it's never stayed in 4Lo. It would shift into it, then after about 10 feet, it would pop out. Well I obviously knew I just needed to adjust the linkage since my cross member is dropped an inch, dropping the transfer case.

Sooooo I went out there today and loosened the bolt that holds the rod in position:
100_0787.jpg

I just took the bolt out all the way. I sprayed everything with PB blaster and let it sit, repeated, hammered on and around the block think with a screwdriver and did everything I could to get it loose(tried prying a little). But I cannot get it loose to get the rod to slide free in it to adjust it.

I fully understand what it entails to adjust it and it seems pretty straight forward, but I just can't get the rod loose and there's next to no :room in there to work.

but I know for a fact it's messed up now, since I can't shift into 4Lo at all, when I pull all the way back, the furthest I can get it is into neutral: see pic
100_0786.jpg

That's just the t-case in neutral.

andddddddd I have to shift toward me and to the right just to get 4hi to engage, because when it's pulled back this far, it's still in 2wd: see pic
100_0785.jpg

So does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? It's pretty screwy now.

thanks

It’s just rusted on that spot so get a buddy to help by holding the lever inside the cab. You grab the bottom lever with some channel locks and work it free. That bushing on the right side of you pic needs replacing but mine looks like that too and it works. You could also pop that part with the bolt out of the bushing it’s in and let it hang so you can get to it and work it free then put it back on. When I first got mine and it wouldn’t go in to 4low I found out that some knuckle head had put the shaft with the two levers on it in upside down so I had the pop the linkage out and flip it over while I had it off I worked the adjuster some and freed if up because mine was hard to move too. I just pride them out with a screw driver and squeezed them back in with some pliers. Hope this helps.

Got a propane torch and heated, pd blasted, hammered, repeat.. 3 or 4 times and I got the block thing to move on the rod. Got everything lined up and everything's good.

Back