• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drilling sucks what works best

asykes

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing a 2" re on a 01 and i broke all 4 rear shock bolts off after a buddy has been telling me for 2 weeks bp them . after reading 3 pages on the subject i found that bp doesnt always get the job done ,so now i don't feel so bad. my question is what works best? cutting the floor pan, hitting it with a punch from underneath,or welding new studs on to the broken bolt i hate drilling and i would like 2 get my mom her xj tomorrow that's the only thing holding me up

I drilled out the broken bolts, and tapped the hole to next-size-up. I think that meant from OEM 10mm to 5/16 inch, but memory may be off. The fastest reported on this board is to use a punch and knock off the nut welded to the back of the shock mount, then slide a new one in taped into an open-end wrench, install new bolt. I have not tried the second way yet- maybe on the other XJ. USE ANTISEIZE on the new bolts, so that you or someone else never has to put up with this again.

Do you have any little kids around? younger brother or a nephew maybe? If somebody has small hands they might be able to get a nut and washer and a wrench in that stupid hand hole so you can bolt them on.

wish i would have but i didnt have a chance between work wife kids and mom lives in another town i didnt make time for it

Knock the old out with a punch.
Wrap a wire around a new bolt and insert it from above.
When you have the bolt in hand just pull the wire out.
Put in your shock.
Since they are new, the nut and bolt will tighten to eachother without a backup.
Enjoy your newly found nerves.

Back