• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 gears/R&P Q`S

whitetrashxj

NAXJA Forum User
so i got my 8.8 all set up for my jeep but my question is, right now i have 3.27 gears but i want to put in 3.55 gears, do i have to change the carriers on it or can i just change the ring and pinion on it?

any info would be great
nick

You just have to change the ring and pinion, there is no carrier break for an 8.8 axle, so your carrier should be good for whatever gears they go up to. If you do buy the gears then buy a master install kit too.
But i do have another Question for about an 8.8 if somebody knows the anwer, i have an 8.8 with 3.55's and no lsd, i was wondering if a lsd carrier will bolt to my ring gear? im pretty sure it will but want to be 100% before i go and get one from the wreckers. Thanks.

heh thread hijacker lol j/k ya thanks for the info, for the lsd in my chevy i did that, i replaced the open diff with a lsd diff and put the r&p on and it worked fine for me

hey would i have to reset the backlash and stuff for it if i put in a different ring and pinion?

Last edited:
Haha, sorry bout that. Ya i figured it would work because the ring gears are the same size but just thought i'd confirm it, see it looks like we helped each other out.

hey would i have to reset the backlash and stuff for it if i put in a different ring and pinion?[/quote]
Yes but it's easy on an 8.8. Except for the new crush sleeve your supposed to use. It comes in the cheap basic install kit. I had to use a five foot pipe on a breaker bar to get mine moving. Check your pattern with marking paint (i bet it will be good with same shims and bearings as the old pinion) and the carrier shims for backlash are outside of the carrier bearings. On mine it came from the factory with one thick shim on each side. Make two stacks of shims the same thickness as the original thick shims. Now just move a shim from side to side to get the backlash set. Nice easy one to learn on. I've got some 3.73 gears if sombody needs them.

Back