• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Brakes- I think I screwed up.....

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I did my rear brakes today, and it seemed to go fine, but when I got it back together, the passenger side was over heating and sticking. The drum was tight, but it went on.

Here is what I checked:
1. Adjuster is in all the way
2. Opened up the brake bleeder and pushed the cylinder in
3. Replaced all hardware.

Need to get back at it in the morning. Any thoughts on what I did wrong?

The driver side is cool to the touch, but the passenger side is hot!!!!

Any advice would be helpful!!!

Thanks in advance,
Bob

When I did mine the first time, I think I remember having a problem with the orientation of the shoes. Doesn't the bigger one go in the front? I had one drum that slid right on and the other was really tight. That was my problem.

I had thought that the shoe with the least amount of pad was the leading shoe, or the one closest to the front of the Jeep?

Is that wrong?

Any other thoughts?

Bob:roll:

your shoes are on backwards. Swap them over (if you haven't glazed the christ outta them) and there should be a difference.

OR!

your ebrake arm isn't on the shoe properly. That's happened to my MJ once or twice. It'll stick on the backing plate. FWIW coat the backside of the ebrake shoe with Never-Seize when you do shoes, and the peg that goes into the brake shoe to hold the arm. A healthy coat of never-seize, and some WD-40 / fluid film on the equalizer bracket underneath stops the ebrake from malfunctioning. Now you just have to worry about the cable :)

Back