• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys shocks and coils

virto

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody !
Anyone tried rustys shocks and coils ? Of course someone did.
My question is : How do they work onroad. I have a dailydriven -89 XJ and it´s too low , even my girlfriend is complaining about it ! I`ve used the search engine but............
What do you think about rustys 3" or 4,5" coils with matching shocks ? Do they work okay or do they s--k ?? Rearsprings will be a hybridpack.
The price is perfect for me , even if i have to use a friend in the US to buy and ship it too me. I live in sweden .
Any other ideas for coils and shocks in that pricerange . 50-60$/coil and 30$/shock
Over here the prices are doubbled or trippled when you go to a store !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n)

Thanks
Mats

i have the 3" coils and they are working great on and offroad. Not sure how much lift i actually got out of them, but i easily fit 31" tires. Additionally, I didnt need to get any other components to make things work (i.e. control arms, trac bar...). The shocks seem to be working great too, just dont put rubber boots on them. :confused1

You will probably get a lot of negative comments about anything having to do with Rustys stuff. However...I have been running his 3" lift for about 2 years now and it's been fine. My only complaint with the product has been with the coils. I have had them sag quite a bit. I am now running 2 sets of .75" spacers on them and they still sit lower than the full leaf packs. I do not run shackles either. Years ago he got tons of complaints about his leaf springs but he switched manufacturers and mine have been excellent. Customer service has always been top notch for me. I have his BB on my 2001. Shocks seem OK. I am getting ready to redo the suspension in the next few months. I will probably not go with Rustys again only b/c I am looking at RE's 5.5 kit with drop brackets. I have not called Rusty yet about my coils. I plan to though only to give him a heads up about my issues...not to bitch. HTH.

-river

Re and Rustys use the same spring manufactureer. Actually RE was having trouble with theirs and contacted Rustys to find out who they use and now they use the exact same company so dont go for that RE has better coils BS

jdurbach said:
Re and Rustys use the same spring manufactureer. Actually RE was having trouble with theirs and contacted Rustys to find out who they use and now they use the exact same company so dont go for that RE has better coils BS

I don't know if this is directed at me but I never said they had better coils.

No its not directed at anyone I just didnt want anyone to try and talk him into thingking for this part RE is better. I just wanted to inform virto that if anyone says that RE coils are better in the future he know that that particular person doesnt know what they are talking about. Thats all man

10-4. I really think I got a shotty set of coils. I really don't wheel at all so there's no reason mine should have sagged as much as they did. I don't wanna call Rustys and whine but I do want them to know about it in case it'll help R&D or whatever.

How do you know RE and Rusty use the same manufacturer for their coils?

the coils i got from rustys in there 6.5 in kit are fine there then only part of the kit i like

the shocks were dead after about 6 months of use i will not buy anything from them again

dont buy rustys crap

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is off the Rustys website in the F.A.Q.s page.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've heard your springs sag, is this true?[/FONT]
Over 2 years ago the 4.5" and the 6.5" leaf packs had 5 leafs , plus I was using the same spring rate as the 3.5", They rode very good and flexed great. The problem arose when someone would add a bumper and tire carrier, roof rack, tool boxes and spare parts. They would add more parts than a 1/2 ton truck would hold up. The XJ is rated for less than a 1/4 ton, but they would put this gear and the springs would drop in height. Springs are rated by pounds needed to compress the spring. Our spring at that time where about 150 pounds , so for every 200 to 250 pounds in would come down an inch. Nothing wrong with that unless you are carring a big load, most of the customers loved them for the ride and flex and that is how I designed them.

Now Oct. of '02 we changed to a 6 leaf spring and have put the spring rate to just uder 200 lbs. Still the softest in the industry but will hold up the weight of tire carriers and gear. In the year of '04 I have not had to warranty a single leaf spring or coils spring.

As for comparion, our springs are manufactured by the same company that makes Rancho , Fabtech, Rubicon Express, Rubicon was having problems with their coil company and asked who we where using and are now using them.

The spring that we offer now is the best of both worlds. Some people that dont carry a load and want the softer ride will even pull the bottom 6th leaf out because they dont need the load capasity. The springs as well as all of Rusty's Off Road products carry a full Limited Lifetime warranty, which means that with a leaf spring; if it droops or breaks we replace, as long as it hasn't been in an accident or such.

Back