• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extreme flare relocation

evil dead

NAXJA Forum User
in the readers rig section i saw a jeep i beleive belonged to johncj5 it had a 1.5in lift and 33s i was wondering if anyone had covered that type of trim and relocation i tried but couldnt find it mabe my terminology is poor

ya i saw that and read it over several times so far but i may buy my beater back and thought big tires rock and beaters are cool my chevy tough truck had so much metal removed in stock trim that the 35s looked like vw tires but they never rubbed i coulda stuffed 40s ha ha lol

i know the one you are talking about. he actualy heated and rebent the flares.then moved them up like the other post showed. i liked how it looks with the stok flares opened up real wide like that to.

bernie

evil dead said:
does anyone have a write up on trimming/folding/welding/etc all the way to the back doors?

Here are cut and raised MJ rear flares on the rear of my XJ. Tires are 33x1.5 with 5" of lift. I'm removing th rust and refinishing in a week or two. I test fit a 35x12.5 and had room to spare when fully flexed.

rearfender005.jpg

rearfender004.jpg

Here's my raised and cut fronts. I have a write up on madxj.com about the front. I'm redoing them for even more room soon also,

Picture20008.jpg

TNT, does the MJ flair have a wider wheel opening than the standard pre 97 XJ flair? By the looks of the rear flair in your picture looks like the bottom of your flair is still following the contour. Thanks in advance.

pottenger said:
TNT, does the MJ flair have a wider wheel opening than the standard pre 97 XJ flair? By the looks of the rear flair in your picture looks like the bottom of your flair is still following the contour. Thanks in advance.

The rear MJ flare opening is taller and longer than a stock XJ rear flare opening is. I used a heat gun to stretch the flare even further open. It also is about 1/2" wider for more tire coverage.

I cut a ton of metal out, stretched the rear openings and pushed the dent that is for a spare tire in for maximum space. I welded the all the cut metal back together from end to end. The rear quarter panel is cut off even with the bottom of the taillights and full welded back togeter.

It would fit a 33'" tire without a lift. With a 5" lift and MJ tall rear bumpstops 36" swampers tires fit with an inch to spare on all sides when fully flexed. I welded the all the cut metal back together from end to end.

Heres a few more pictures.

rearfender002.jpg

rearfender001.jpg

rearfender003.jpg

I'll see if I have anymore pictures. If I can't find any I'll try and get more tomorrow. The axle is still in the stock location.

sorry to be a nag but i would really like to see those pictures and mabe hear some thoughts on what you did and would do differently as i am considering this and dont want to completly destroy the old pile

I can't find any of my other pictures from when I originally cut them. I'll have to take some new ones. I cut the body and inner fender right above the seam. I then cut the bogy more and slit and folded the inner fender over the body and welded it back togeter. I pounded the hump for the spare tire out and then slit the inner fenfer and made the opening longer. Next was to weld in some metal to fill the slits. I also cut the outer fender off at the taillights and folded the inner part up and welded it in to close off the opening.

Insideboggerwelds.jpg

CindysBday008.jpg

IM002361.jpg

CindysBday015.jpg

The welds are horrible, but it works for me. In the pictures I have ~4.5'' lift with 32s.

edit: Wow, those are weird sized pics. Ill upload them again.
edit 2: Apparently I dont have the pictures on this computer. Sorry. Hope those help.

cherokeedriver420 said:
TNT are those stock xj front fender flares or mj flares and what is the best way to strech and bend them

Stock XJ front, MJ rear. I used a heat gun to to form and extend them and any cutting was done with a dremel. The heat gun really came in handy on the front inner liners. I'm so glad I kept them.

BTW the 95-96 front XJ flares are slightly wider then the older ones.

Back