• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air conditioning grinding

meatball

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased (5 months ago) an 01 xj and the a/c never had cold air. I don,t need the air to work, but this grinding noise came and went one day on my way home. I think it my compressor or clutch bearings going. This week the sound has been louder and yesterday the battery gauge went down to 9 and my temp went up over 210. So I'm worried about it seizing up and stranding me and my daughter. I have 4.0 I-6 with serpentine belt and called the dealer about replacing the a/c with an idler pulley, but he said no XJ's were made w/o air. Using my JP magazine ads I have spoken with some people about this no oone has been able to help, with out buying a clutch or a/c compressor.

Does anyone know if an older I-6 would have an idler pulley to bolt in place?
Or should I try replacing the bearings/unit with another?

Sounds like you're on the right track, but you need to fix it quick. You don't want to overheat a 4.0. You need at least a clutch, but if you can find a complete compressor that would be better. Your looking for 97-01 as they changed in the 97 model year.

Check everything else when the belt is off. Make sure everything is spinning free.

Not a 4.0L but my sons 97TJ w/2.5, we pulled the compressor, tower and a/c stuff and just replaced the belt with a smaller one, no extra idlers or pulleys were involved. My 97TJ w/2.5 had no factory air, just that big assed bracket sling that is there for holding one, no extra pulleys, just a shorter belt. The belt path is exactly the same as on the 4.0 in my 98 w/air.

your dealer is lying :nono: when he says no xj came without ac. i have personally seen civilian ones with out ac as well as many rhd (mail carrier) xj's and not to mention state bid vehicles. they have an idler in place of the compressor. below is a thread, i started a week ago, with a napa part number and link for the idler and bracket.

Here you go for all you people not wanting to fix the ac compressor on your 400,000 mile xj. i have seen this question alot. here is a direct bolt in answer. mike

:new: napa part # Bk 6601826

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&PartNumber=6 601826&Description=A%2fC+Comp+By-Pass+Pulley

p.s. it is only good for the newer xj's with the ac compressor on top.

Thanks alot x99j. Pulled the belt off today and the a/c pulley has tons of slop in it. This is the fix for me, cause the belt has to wrap a pulley to spin the alt. and fan the right direction.

So would the same belt go back on this bypass pulley? Would NAPA be able to tell me?

Thats a handy part number and worthwhile to have one of those as a spare. Much easier than seizing a compressor on the trail or trip and THEN trying to figure out what to do...

Back