• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will 4.11 gears for 87-95 YJ (dana 30/35) fit on my XJ?

firefight343

NAXJA Forum User
found what seems to be a good buy on craigslist...4.11 gears for both the dana 30 and 35 on a 87-95 YJ (reverse cut, but dont know splines yet).

wondering if the gears will fit on my '84 XJ: V6 2.8/t904/NP207 with ~4.5 inch lift, and dana 30/35 set-up. looking to go from stock gearing with 31's (boo!), to 4.11's (for cheap!) with 32-33's-- preferrably 32's (its my DD, a lot of highway driving, weekend trips to the muddy ranches)

what do i need to look for as far as compatibility. dont know as much as i would like about gearing ratios/reverse-cuts?/splines? tried searching for existing threads but none found on the basics. can anyone advise me/point me in the right direction? anything at this point would be greatly appreciated, TIA -Ed

You didn't mention what gearing you're starting with, but you might have to swap the diff case (hold the spiders) as well. Your D35 rear is also a non-clip versus c-clip on the YJ, but I don't know if that makes a difference for the gears.

The D35 YJ gears should work, if you have the right carrier for high-number gears. There is a carrier break for both D30 at 3.55 and down (higher ratios like 3.31) or 3.73 and up (lower ratios like 4.10), and D35 at 3.31 and down or 3.55 and up. That means you have a carrier for 4.10 gears in the D35 already. Now for the D30: you will need to change carriers unless you have 3.73 gears or lower already, and you need reverse cut gears (high pinion). I thought the YJ was standard cut gears due to low pinion D30 axle- in which case, those gears won't work.

Back