• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fitted to 97+ auto shifter into a earlier model

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Just a tiny write up on fitting a 97+ auto shifter into a earlier XJ. These shifters have much more reach bringing it closer to you if you are long legged like me and have the seat all the way back. The write up is in the Interior Changes section of the index. www.go.jeep-xj.info
AutoShifter2.jpg

Easy to see the difference in reach between the early in the foreground verse the new behind it.
Handles%20011.jpg
AutoShifter4.jpg

Before and After
There is a small modification to be made which is covered in the write up.

It looks like you have the ZJ handle on that. Did you have any trouble getting it to work with the longer shifter? I just did the swap so I could switch to the later console, and the button activator on the ZJ handle would not trigger the shifter lock. I had to cut 1/4" off the ZJ shifter rod insert and superglue it to the late-model XJ shifter rod insert in order for the button to work.

Good question on that. I am using ZJ handles for the shifter and tcase (had to cut the ZJ tcase shifter shaft shorter in order to work.

Later on I got one of the newer longer XJ shafts. I have not fitted it yet, and wonder if it will work with the ZJ handle as well (what ehall asked)

The ZJ handle swap was also written up here and was linked to in that write up: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoShifterHandles.htm
The Recaro seat swap from a Lancer EVO 7 or 8 was not written up sorry. I can tell you I only used the whole seat brackets and slides from the XJ and adapted a mount from 2" SHS to bolt the seats to that.

Back