• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REMOVING HERCULINER? AM I INSANE??

AKswampheep

NAXJA Forum User
I am tired of teh old herculiner look on the jeep and im looking for any possible way to remove it? Am i crazy?
Ok.. this stuff.. from being in the sun too much.. has faded to a greyish color.. it sucks cleaning because stuff sticks to it waay more than I thought it would.. it is all pitted and there are some odd run marks down the side of it that looks like water ran down it and somehow made marks? Dont know.. but i hate it now..

SO.. has anyone ever attempted and succeeded a removing herc from the body? BTW not worried about paint taken off.. planning to get it painted anyways..
1zn3jg2.jpg

aircraft remover, would try that first

Second aircraft remover. I've watched it eat marine epoxy for pete's sake, that urethane will dissolve for sure.
just handle it like plutonium though, keep it off your wheels, tires, and yourself.

I'm going to be in the same position you are shortly here. I did my rockers and lower rear quarters but I didn't prep them well and a lot of it has peeled off. I'm thinking about using a heat gun on the high 1100 degree position and seeing if i can scrape it off. I think that'd be the easiest.

They say you can wire brush it and repaint it with a new layer of Herc or their UV topcoat to give it a "new" look.

I used Red smooth Durabak on my XJ is has faded badly, cracked, held onto dirt and grease, etc. I just spayed over it though. It will not be fun trying to remove it. I'd suggest spray painting over it. It will look much better and is super easy. Trying to remove the Herculiner will be a real pain.

Troy

go find yourself some aircraft paint remover....look what it does....this stuff looks slimy...well, its because the paint is just running off the sides.....all you do is put it on, let it sit and then power wash it off. It'll eat right through your tires though, so you might want to cover them up.

ch53046.jpg

ch53045.jpg

ch53050.jpg

ch53052.jpg

Ends up looking like this after you're done....

ch53054.jpg

always_eating_mud said:
sorta funny how hurculiner is 40-100 dollars and it faded while i bought 2 cans of spray on bed liner for 4.99 each and it hasn't faded nor have any run lines

how many cans would you have needed to cover the floorboards of an xj. im thinkin of losing the nasty carpet

-Tim

I did mine in Line-x either 5 or 6 years ago. I few years back my Line-X dealer sold me a product that you put over the top of it with a sponge. It is black and returns the coating to its original lustre. The stuff is like a paint/gel. It sticks great and doesn't really fade, unlike the liner.

Wish you were closer I would let you try it and see if it works on hurc. I don't have any weird water streaks or anything else.

Back