• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanted to post local before National

DrSockMonkey

NAXJA Forum User
I have just purchased a 97 jeep. I am planning on doing a 6.5" lift and 33's. From what I have read, having a 97 XJ means I must do an SYE and drive shaft. The biggest mystery I am coming against in all my searches are regarding SYE's. I understand their purpose but have a couple questions. First and foremost I need to confirm or deny whether or not an SYE from an NP229 will fit on a NP231. I have the 231 in my jeep, but found a guy who has a 229 with sye kit for a real good price. I need to know if it will fit. This is not a hack and tap. So,
1. Will it fit on the transfer case?
2. Will the SYE shaft mesh with my 231?

And if anyone feels like answering can I use a Front DS with currie adapter http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1043 for the rear until I save enough pennies for my Tom Wood DS?

Thanks Much!
Jeremy

I dont believe it will fit.

Best bet is to pick up a PORC SYE, get a front DS to use in the back, and call it good. No adapter needed. Only if you use a RE hack and tap.

Id do new U joints on the shaft, and make sure the splines in the slip joint are nice and free.

Auto or stick?

There was a thread around with a link that gave different front DS lengths from different Jeeps. Ill see if I can find it.

Thanks, for the info John. The sye kit with Tcase was $100. I know $400 isn't much but with lift and sye and Tom woods DS it would take a bit longer to get on the road. I will look into the PORC sye kit for now and then move to a tom woods DS. CanMan If you find that thread on DS lebgths that would be great. I really Appreciate the responses as you guys saved me wasting $100.

Jeremy

Yeah, been kicking it around with the wife, but don't want to push the budget. To my suprise she is already willing to buy a lift and wheels/tires. I was looking at a 3" with springpack and she said that's better than aal right? why don't we just order it? Whee:yelclap: No I haven't ordered yet want to make sure I get my initial setup right. But I will be getting a :NAXJA: membership in the near future.

Go full packs. General: AAL's sag.

I went 3.5, but wanted 4.5 due to budget and family issues, now I will be adding another 1". Save for what you want and wait until you can do it right. Saves money down the road.

Going with Tom Woods might be more time down now, but will save you time later.

The PORC 231 SYE is only $180, and if you have a 4.0L/AW4 there’s a good chance you can use a front driveshaft for the rear. You should be able to do the whole things for about $250.

PORC = Performance Off Road Center

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/

It's under there drive train section. Or you can just call them, that is what I always do. Make sure you check the on-line price before you call though. When I ordered my gears and lockers the price on-line was different then what they quoted me on the phone and I was able to get them to give me the lower of the two. I’m probably going to call them up and order an Warn 8274-50 from them this week.

Back