• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle u joints

kennzz05

basic dumbass
wondering how difficult replacement of the axle u joints are (98 ). is it anything like a normal joint? im guessing no. anybody have any step by step instructions it would be appreciated also where is best place to purchase them? dearer, online? etc. thanks (i just had to drive in the ocean followed by deep sand !!):smsoap:doh!!

Ocean and sand didnt hurt it. That dosent mean its bad instantly. Is that what you mean? Its easy to replace.

Remove the tire
Remove the cotter pin and axle nut---36mm (this is not mandatory but it makes handling the shaft easier)
Remove the caliper and shoes and rotor
Remove the three star head, 12 point? bolts that hold the unit bearing assy in place.
Tap around the bearing housing to get it free and set it aside (a little penetrating oil will help)
The axle shaft is ready to pull out of the pig or it came out with the axle
Replace the joint or take it to a shop and they can do it
When you install the axle shafts, picture the tube possibly having crap laying in it. You dont want to shove this crap into the drive axle when you put the shaft it. Hold it and guide it with the inner end up so it dosent get in the dirt that could be laying in there.
Reassemble - Dont get any grease or oil on the rotor or pads. Wipe the rotor with brake clean before putting the pads on. You can find any torque specs you need

needsrepair said:
When you install the axle shafts, picture the tube possibly having crap laying in it. You dont want to shove this crap into the drive axle when you put the shaft it. Hold it and guide it with the inner end up so it dosent get in the dirt that could be laying in there.

You can try jacking one side of the axle up and gently squirting water up into the axle tube before you start disassembly to flush out any dirt that's in your axle tube. I made a little tool that was kind of like a little hoe with the blade shaped to the same shape as the axle tube to rake the crusty mud out but it still left a small amount of dirt in there. This might be a good time to change the seals in your pumpkin and change the oil too. Might as well since you'll have crap laying all over your driveway anyway.

Yep, good idea. When I regear I plan on doing everything. Clean housing, replace side seals, weld reinforcement tabs and brackets, etc.

thanksguys so they are pretty much the same as driveshaft u joints which ive changed before(i will get the harbour freight tool ive lost my mind before with the hammer method having needles fall out and the like) guess i got to go buy some star sockets though guess harbour freight will do for that as well, NEEDSREPAIR: there noisy and i can see rust coming out of them so i figure thats why its the joint yes? thanks SW4218 for the links with the pics to me when i looked at the joints they looked differant than i was used to seeing at the cap end. again thanks to all, kennzz...

Last edited:
thanks RPYNE very informitive by the way whats the cost of the bearing assemblys and best place to purchase them?

Last edited:
Back