• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 d44 rear into a '96, bolt in?

redboy

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a '96 xj and was just wondering if a d44 from an '87 xj is a bolt in swap or is it more involved than that. Also I was planing on putting in a ez locker and 4.10 gears. Will I have to get a new careier? It has 3.07 open in it now. Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help.

Also what about the abs from the '96? should I just leave it unplugged and live with the light on.

CanMan said:
A XJ44 will bolt in.

You will need a new carrier for the lower gears for both the front and rear.

you don't need a new carrier if you can take it to a shop and have them doit,
because they can install a thicker ring to make up the differance.

i have a 87 d44 on my 99 with 4.88 with the stock carrier and it works fine, this is my dd.

MR. XJ said:
you don't need a new carrier if you can take it to a shop and have them doit,
because they can install a thicker ring to make up the differance.

i have a 87 d44 on my 99 with 4.88 with the stock carrier and it works fine, this is my dd.
Where exactly is a shop getting a set of 4:88's that fit a 3:55 and down carrier? I haven't seen them listed.
??

DaffyXJ said:
Where exactly is a shop getting a set of 4:88's that fit a 3:55 and down carrier? I haven't seen them listed.
??
here is the # of the shop that i use here in houston (281)9996592 or (281)9992712 the name of the shop is 249 drivetrain and the guy's name is allen
they put 4.88 gears on my 99 xj useing the stock carrier. i have a d30 & d44.

If you're having gears installed, I'd recommend going with a full-case locker rather than putting a lunchbox locker in. Spend the extra $300 or so and get a Detroit, Ox, or ARB. The stock carrier is the weak point, and with hard abuse with a luchbox locker in there it will eventually fail. It's throwing good money after bad to re-use the factory carrier in that circumstance, IMO.

Back