• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken rear upper schock bolt

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
one of my upper rear shock bolts broke off.
the head broke off and the rest is still stuck in there.

i did alot of searching and found out houw to do it by cutting trough the rear cargo area. which i wasn't to happy about doing.

then i found some info on how do it by tapping out the nut?
there wasnt too much info on this and i would have liked to see some pictures to make better sense of this.

can someone help me out. i defnetly need to fix this asap.

thanks
cas

I'm sorry, but you need a picture to drill a hole in the broken stud and then run a tap in it to clean the remainder out? There is just something wrong with that request.

5/16 - 18 is the bolt size so you'll need a F bit to drill the hole. Since you're not likely to have a wire size F bit the next best would be 17/64 then 9/32. Then of course a 5/16 -18 tap

All I do withbroken shock bolts in XJs at the shop is knock the welded nut out with my air hammer. Then use my magnet to put 5/16 bolts down through it. Put the shock up there then use my 3/8 impact to tighten them down. Work pretty quick and easily. Lots easier than drilling and tapping. Just my .02 cents worth.

comancheon33 said:
All I do withbroken shock bolts in XJs at the shop is knock the welded nut out with my air hammer. Then use my magnet to put 5/16 bolts down through it. Put the shock up there then use my 3/8 impact to tighten them down. Work pretty quick and easily. Lots easier than drilling and tapping. Just my .02 cents worth.

can you or someone please give me some more info on this?
do you mean cutting a hole from above to feed the bolt trough?
i would love to see some pictures of this if anyone has them

thanks
cassio

You don't need to cut a hole in the floor to do this. Knocked the busted bolt and welded nut out. If you look at the crossmember that the shocksbolt to you will see you have enough room to get a bolt through the gap up there with a magnet. I have done this RenixPower XJ he might be able to help you out with some pics. This can be done without even getting into the interior of the Jeep. HTH

cassio said:
can you or someone please give me some more info on this?
do you mean cutting a hole from above to feed the bolt trough?
i would love to see some pictures of this if anyone has them

thanks
cassio
same happen to me a long time ago.
what i found easiest, and quickest was just drill the bolt out. find a bit just a little smaller than the bolt and drill it out. this breaks the bolt out and saves your threads for the next bolt. least it did for me.
using a easy out will cause so much headache!! ask me how i know!

comancheon33 said:

Easiest & fastest way. JIM.

Back